Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving thru France - Is my husband nuts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Merri

We are flying into Nice - want to see the French Riveria and then make our way up to the Loire Valley and Mont St Michel before going to Paris. We only have 9 days and my husband thinks we can drive it. I'm afraid we'll spend our entire trip in the car. Any opinions out there from someone who's been there ??? If we said we definatley want to see the Monaco/Nice area and Paris where else would you spend the time and how to get there ??? HELP !!!

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Richard

Rent a car to tour the Riviera, allow a couple days. The TGV from Nice to Paris takes 7 hours. Paris needs at least 5 days. That's my opinion.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Bob

Just returned from France. Drove from Paris airport to Normandy area, near Caen. Easy drive. Took about 2 and 1/2 hours. We also drove from there to Mr St Michael and back in one pretty easy day. I would do limited time in Nice and Monaco. Probably three days. Then drive to Mont and then on to Paris. Should not be a problem in driving if you do not run into unusual traffic. I prefer to drive for the flexibility and avoid trains and busses at all costs, so I may be biased. Mont St Michel is nice, but not a long trip, so you should have plenty of time to do what you want in 9 days without living in a car.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:58 PM
elvira

The driving time from the French Riviera to the Loire Valley is about 7 hours, depending on from where you leave and where you arrive, certainly doable. For a route, times, costs, and things to see along the way, go to: <BR>www.iti.fr <BR> <BR>You are only going to skim the surface of the four areas you're visiting, but you'll get a chance to see the highspots.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Merri

Bob, <BR>You said spend approx 3 days in Nice/Monaco, then drive to "Mont" - are you talking abouth Mont St-Michel ? If so ho long does it take ?? How long from Mont St-Michel to Paris ? Thanks to all for the info.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Rex

Search for cheap one-way flights from Montpellier (or other airports in the south of France) to Paris. Then break it up into one or two shorter car rentals (3 or 4 day). <BR> <BR>You can not see as much of France as you suggest in 9 days - - but if you want to "sample", then consider 4 days south of France (1st day without car in or near Monaco?), 2 days Paris and 3 days outside Paris. <BR> <BR>And use 2 days in each of your next 10 trips to France to see more of Paris. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 07:24 PM
Cheryl Sloane

Last summer we spent one week in Paris then two weeks covering ALOT of France. It was fabulous. We started and ended in Paris and the route was convoluted, but we saw alot. First north to Normandy, east to Mont St Michel. Than south through Nantes to Bordeaux, north into the eastern Loire, across to the western Loire, southwest to Burgundy, north to Reims and back to Paris. Sounds like alot, but we never spent more than 5 hours in the car and while long drives were on the Autoroutes, there was alot on country roads