Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

driving through the Gorges Du Tarn route suggestion

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
lvs
Original Poster

We will be staying in Estaing and the next day we will be driving southeast to Cap d'Agde which is south of Monpellier on the coast. We would like to drive through the Gorges du Tarn enroute and also see and pass over the Milau Bridge. We will have the whole day to make the journey and see as many highlights as possible.

Can anyone give us suggestions for a good route to follow to take in as much as possible? Also, how long should we allow to get us to Montpellier going this way?
Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM

The Viaduc de Millau is best appreciated from afar, around and below in the surrounding countryside - not by driving over it.

The nicest part of the Gorges du Tarn is in the vicinity of the scenic town of Ste-Enimie. This area is northeast of Millau.

Coming from Estaing, it's a bit difficult to imagine how you'd manage these sights.

Another 'must-see' would be St-Guilhem-le-Desert en route to Montpelier.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM

I concur with everything Tuck told you.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
lvs
Original Poster

Thanks Tuck. We were planning on driving to St. Enimie from Estaing. Is that not easy to do?

From the map St. Enimie appears to be on the northern end of the gorge. I thought perhaps there was a road that went through the gorge that we could pick up near St. Enimie that might wend its way south. I guess that's not the case? Is there a road you would recommend that would give us the best view of the viaduct?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Your proposed route is making my brain hurt.

I'd probably do it this way:

- Estaing to Sévérac-le-Chateau, then follow the A75 south; exit to follow the N9 to Aguessac.

- Left on the D907 to le Rozier, then drive north and east on D907 through the Gorges du Tarn.

- Go at least as far as Ste-Enimie, perhaps a bit further east.

- Turn around, retrace your route back to Aguessac.

- Follow the N9 south to Millau

- After you cross the Tarn River on the southern side of Millau, turn right (west) onto D992, which follows the river west until you are under the new viaduct.

- You will see this, which was taken from the side of D992:

www.pbase.com/anselmadorne/image/75773482

- Turn around, retrace your route on D992 back to the N9, follow that south up a switchback (which provides another great view of the viaduct) until it rejoins the A75.

- Follow the A75 south towards Montpellier and Agde.

Tuck's suggestion of a diversion to St-Guilhem-le-Désert is excellent. You can see this:

www.pbase.com/anselmadorne/image/75771687

And this:

www.pbase.com/anselmadorne/image/75773236

Anselm
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM
lvs
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks AnselmeAdorne. Didn't want to make your brain hurt- just ignorance on my part! How much time should ne allot for your detailed route (not counting the diversion to St-Guilhem-le-Désert) for driving, stops? And if we were to do that diversion as well, where would we divert from your excellent and detailed itinerary and then get us back on track?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM

> I thought perhaps there was a road that went through the gorge that we could pick up near St. Enimie that might wend its way south. <

Yes, you could do it that way. Do you have the Michelin 526?

You could cut across on the yellow roads heading almost due east after Espilion, crossing the autoroute at La Canourgue and you'll soon come to Ste-Enimie. According to viaMichelin, it'd be 01h44/88km.

Proceed through the Gorge heading southwest until you reach the N9 at Millau.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM

To reach St-Guilhem-le-Désert, you'll first get on the autoroute at Millau, head south and exit at Gignac and St-Guilhem-le-Désert is not too much further along.

Return to the autoroute on your way to Cap d'Agde.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM

You could do it Tuck's way, too ... find your way east to la Ganourgue, then southeast on D998 to Ste-Enemie, then west and south on D907 through the Gorges. You will eventually come to the N9 at Aguessac, then follow the route I suggested above through Millau.

The advantage of Tuck's proposal is that It involves less backtracking than my first suggestion.

I see Tuck has explained how to get to Guilhem-le-Désert. The only two things I would add are:

- use the "Driving directions" feature at www.viamichelin.com to figure out your driving times. I'd break it down into units such as Estaing to Aguessac (or la Ganourgue), then to Ste-Enemie, then to Millau, then to Cap d'Agde ...

- get the appropriate Michelin amps in either the 5xx-series or the 3xx-series (for slightly more detail).

Anselm
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM

amps = maps.

AA
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:28 AM
lvs
Original Poster

Thank you so much Tuck and Anselme. This has been so helpful. Will definitely get the appropriate maps. I am really looking forward to our trip which is coming up in just a few weeks! Linda
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
ira

HI L,

Go to www.viamichelin.com

Enter

12190 Estaing to 34300 Le Cap-d'Agde

via

Saint-Chély-du-Tarn

and

48150 Le Rozier

Part of your route will be on mountain tops and part along the rivers.

Enjoy your drive.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM
lvs
Original Poster

Ira- is your route suggestion an alternative to those recommended by Tuck and Anselm or can this be combined with the suggestions they have made?

Thanks Linda