Driving through Austria and Switzerland

Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving through Austria and Switzerland

We are a small group of three friends planning to drive during the second week of April from Austria to Italy via Switzerland.

We will be doing this for about 10 days.
Planning to drive for three days each in Austria and Switzerland.

I have done some research on renting a car and have finalised Auto Europe.
we want to rent the car from Innsbruck and return it at Vienna after travelling Switzerland and Italy, also covering Nice and Monaco on the way.

my question is: is it okay to take such a road trip in the month of April in Austria and Switzerland? Will it snow on the roads and do we have to take special precautions to drive during this period?

We have an option to take this trip on the month of June also, as our visa expires only by 23rd of June. but as we have the urge to do it now so we want to do it immediately if the weather is not so bad please advice.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM

The only road closures will be on high Alpine passes, which remain closed to May-June, but there are usually alternative routes by tunnels or detour. If there are sudden snowfalls, roads may be blocked for a short time but will be quickly swept clear. Otherwise no particular worries about driving in those countries. You need a Swiss vignette (Autobahn toll sticker), which costs 40 CHF before you use any stretch of Swiss Autobahn system. Your Austrilain rental car is likely to have current Austrian vignette already on windshield. In Italy, you pay autostrada tolls as you drive along - credit cards are taken.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; First I would suggest looking at a 'map' to get your 'bearings' and then decide where you will visit. With the areas you currently want to visit, you have too much driving time. Then, June might be a better time to drive in the mountains. Once you have places to visit, use www.viamichelin.com for distances and driving time between stops. Then you will see what is actually realistic to visit. Richard
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM

also covering Nice and Monaco on the way.

More like out of the way. Venice would make more sense.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Alec. I do have another query: if there is a snowfall will the road be slippery? I'm not used to the snow condition on the road. Will it have too much of fog etc.. what else should I be expecting in April?

I prefer April actually as there will be less of tourists in these areas and the flights are cheaper.. that is if the wether doesn't spoil our trip.

iris1745 and Michael, I did some research in ViaMichellin and Google maps. I have finalised the following itinerary:

Paris to the Dijon by train.
Rent a car at Dijon drive to Bern stay for the night
Bern to Lugano Via Luzern and Interlaken stay at Lugano
Lugano to Nice via Monaco stay at Nice
Nice to Florence Via Genaova and Pisa stay at Florence
Florence to Rome by train and return stay at Florence
Florence to Venice stay at venice
Venice to Innsbruck Stay at Innsbruck
Innsbruck to Vienna Via Salzburg stay at Vienna 2 days.

We have total of about 12 days to do this.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM

I am worn out !
Where do you drop the car?
How much for the drop charge?
In 12 days I would sleep in 4 places.
This is a " drive-by" itinerary.
I would drop Nice and Vienna--then it might work if you are young and energetic.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM

Hi Dameem; Just renting a car in one country and dropping off in another, has a large drop off fee. Respectfully, this is not doable, at least in my opinion. We have been to Europe 30 times and rented cars for 25 of those trips. Have done a lot of driving. I think you need to rethink your visits. Just add up all your driving and train time. What do you have left to sightsee??
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

So you will pick the car up in Dijon and drop off in Vienna? Have you inquired about the price of this? Usually the cost to pick up in one country and drop off in another is quite exorbent, as it usually adds hundreds of dollars to the cost of the rental.

I travel faster than many of this board, I presume, but this itinerary has me worn out just by looking at it. I would cut out a few locations. Bob made a good suggestion; cutting out Nice and Vienna would help. Do you already have your flights booked?
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM

Your finalized (?) itinerary does not correspond to the original post, which was to drive from Austria to Italy and back via Switzerland. I would suggest that this is much more sensible than your second itinerary. Should you decide on your second itinerary, please make sure to give us a trip report, or better yet, an actual travel log. I, for one, am curious as to how it will turn out.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM

Today there's only little snow, almost like autumn. The roads that are open are actually free of snow.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply everyone.
bobthenavigator, iris1745, tcreath,Thanks for your response.

yes, the schedule is very hectic, but then the idea is to make it primarily a drive trip spending much time driving through smaller routes, which by itself a good experience rather than sight seeing (IMO). Probably we can return to these cities and spend more time later.

I have checked rates in Autoeurope it comes to about $950 for 13 days for Audi A3 or Renault Laguna. (which is same even if I drop car in same country).

logos999, thanks for your input on weather, I feel more confident now.

Michael, It will be mostly as per 2nd itinerary. as we have Schengen visa taken at French embassy. (we must land in paris as firt stop). BTW can anyone throw light on this if it will create problem if land in Austria first? We have not booked tickets yet.

I will wait for all your valuable comments.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 01:27 AM

If you land in Austria first, the border officials may ask if France is your main destination (i.e. spending the longest), as that's the rule for getting a Schengen visa from France. Have your itinerary ready to show them. Or they may not ask and let you enter with no problems.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 03:38 AM

Dameen; Wish you well and have a great trip. Richard
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 04:55 AM

I would be most careful about landing in Vienna first with the Schengen Visa from France.

The passport control control in Austria comes much more vigilent I think regarding any visas lately.

I would review the Schengen Visa rules. I believe when one intends to visit several countries within the Schengen zone and are spending multiple nights in those various countries without having one major destination, you must apply for and receive a visa from the country where you first land/ visit .
Best to review this and not have a problem on arrival.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM

Call them at 800-223-5555 and ask--do not trust the online system to give you drop charges.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bobthenavigator,
I will call them.

molker, Alec, I have decided to land in Paris to avoid any confusion.

iris1745, Thank you for your wishes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM

I agree with Bob. That price sounds great, but almost too good to be true. It may be the correct price, but I would definitely contact Auto Europe to reconfirm. Arriving at the rental counter only to find out that the price is a lot higher than you thought is not a great surprise or a great way to start a trip.

Happy planning!
Tracy
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

tcreath, I checked the website of Autoeurope, it clearly says the drop charges in another country included. Still I will call them as per your advice.

Any more news on the weather?
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM

I was in the Salzburg area of Austria around mid/end of April of 07. No snow, but it was chilly and we had a lot of rain. I think it rained just about every day of our trip. We still had a great time. Just be prepared with a few umbrellas.

Tracy
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Weather is o.k. right now, some rain during the afternoon 11C max in town. Some snow at 2000m but nothing that sticks, about 8C max at 2000m tomorrow, 15C in Munich.
You won't even need any snow tyres.
Keep in mind that when you fill up with gas, there are two tax free areas close to where you will go. It's worth visiting Samnaun, CH or Livigno, IT.
Samnaun is 97euroct/Liter unleaded super (equals $5 per gallon, super cheap ), 86ct for Diesel, booze is even cheaper. Cheapest gas station is right downtown! If you're in the area, it's only a small detour, the road is open. No snow on the Brenner road either, easy driving everywhere, just lots of holiday makers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -