Driving the Amalfi Coast - which way?

Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Driving the Amalfi Coast - which way?

Hi there. We (four in a rental car) are planning a short visit to the Amalfi Coast at the end of May. We have a day set aside to drive the coast road. But which way?

We haven't booked our accommodation yet, so do we plan Sorrento-->-->-->Salerno; or the reverse? Is the former more popular making the latter easier traffic-wise? Does one offer better views & easier stop-offs?

What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts.

Merv.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Heading southbound obviously has you on the side of the road where you'll find the turnoffs...
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:42 PM

I have driven the AC several times in both directions at different times of the year. So, IMO the views are spectacular in both directions but you do see it from a different perspective depending on direction. Can't say that one is better than the other based on views. As far as stop offs, its the same either way as far as towns are concerned, however going from Sorrento to Salerno, there are are more and easier places to pull off the road for pictures etc. Driving difficulty is the same. I prefer ending up in Sorrento simply because I enjoy it more as a city and it makes a great way to cap off the day.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. Based on your comments, I would go Sorrento to Salerno (staying in Sorrento the previous night & making an early start).

By "traffic-wise", I meant the volume of traffic rather than the difficulty of the road. Basingstoke2, you would say "It makes no difference"?

Merv.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM

The volume is the same in each direction. It's two-lane, single-file, not fast or dangerous. No big deal...
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM

I am almost postive that the tour buses go from Sorrento to Salerno and I would rather be behind one than to try and pass one. If you get stuck behind one it would be easy to pull into a turnout and enjoy the view too.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM

On the narrow sections east of Positano, it's actually a little "easier" to be driving in the direction with the heavier traffic. You just follow the vehicles in front when there's opposing traffic.

If you're driving in the "light traffic" side, you may be the only car going that way, and you have to "make your own path" through opposing traffic.

At least that's how I feel doing the Amalfi Drive.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM

I agree with TuckH. Sorrento to Salerno is a good choice simply because it is easier to pull off to the side of the road. I have never found the drive to be particularly difficult. On the other hand, I enjoy that sort of thing.

Will your rental car be manual or automatic? I always rent manual and that adds to the sport. If you are not used to a manual though, the AC is no place to learn.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM

I guess I wasn't clear, but I, too, recommend driving Sorrento to Salerno for the same reasons, or my post is invisible.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! SeaUrchin - I did take your post as a "southbound" vote.

Basingstoke2 - I'm picking manual (cheaper). Besides, I'm a Kiwi. I was brought up manual.

TuckH & rkkwan - very helpful observations. Thanks.

Merv
Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM

By the way, Sorrento to Salerno is west to east and a bit northward.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

You're absolutely right. I guess I'm thinking more in terms of "down the boot" as opposed to "up the boot".

Merv
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM

BTW, during my 2-hour drive from Amalfi to Salerno on the evening of 12/30/06, there were plenty of tour buses going west on the drive, heading towards Amalfi and Sorrento. Maybe not as many heading east, but they are there.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM

Hey rkwan we must have been driving there at the same time. We weren't really bothered by buses or traffic. We stopped so many times for pictures and views. As we were only going Sorrento->Salerno way I just kept looking back. Had to make sure my husband the driver didn't do this though.

agcity the drive is not hard in any way. I alwasy prefer to be on the side of the sea with those sorts of drives so that is a vote for Sorrento -> Salerno.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I'm picking that you understand that for a "1st-timer" it's mostly about having my confidence boosted.

Merv.