Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving stick shift after years of not doing it. plus questions about diesel v gas costs and what class car to rent in Italy

Search

Driving stick shift after years of not doing it. plus questions about diesel v gas costs and what class car to rent in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I haven't driven a stick shift since my 30s, but I want to cut the cost of renting a car on my upcoming visit to Italy I'll be picking up the car out of Malpensa airport, and during my stay in Italy, I'll be using the car to drive on the Autostrade, in small cities and steep hilltowns with lots and lots of winding roads.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions of what kind of car I should rent?

In the overall scheme of things (3 weeks of daily driving) am I better with a diesel car, even at a higher cost?)

I've driven plenty in Italy, but always an automatic.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts you have!

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM

In my experience diesel and regular gas cost about the same right now in Europe...this was true 9 months ago in Italy, a few months ago in Spain, and last month in France. We usually rent automatics and the last few times these cars have taken diesel fuel.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM

Diesel and gas may cost about the same, but diesel cars get much better mileage (kilometerage?), so your overall fuel costs will be lower.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM

A few suggestion (just back from France and have rented throughout Europe).

1) Go with diesel if you can get it. It's generally 10-15% cheaper and you get 15-25% better mileage. Definitely worth it.

2) I usually rent an automatic. It's generally a bit more expensive (but see my next comment), but on strange road with strange signs (and especially when in the UK on the other side of the road), it makes life a bit easier.

3) I usually book a car very early in the process through Kemwel. They don't actually rent cars, but serve as an agent for all of the major rental companies. The key thing is that they'll beat any price. So, book with them early and then keep checking on the other sites (especially Sixt). If you find a better rate, reserve it and then immeidiately call Kemwel. They generally beat it by about 10%. I just had a 4dr, VW Golf TDI (diesel) Automatic in France for 8 days for under $300.

Enjoy the trip...
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM

In Italy last month, diesel was selling for Euro 1.15 per liter which is roughly about $5.86 per gallon figuring 4 liters approxmate 1 gallon. I think gas was slightly higher but we seemed to get around 50 mpg with the diesel (with 4 people plus luggage).
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
ira

HI F,

We have always been happy with the "Compact" class - Peugeot 307, VW Golf.

I'd get a diesel.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM

Like you, I drove stick 20 years ago. I had no trouble adapting to it in Italy and Spain, but a terrible time in Ireland. If the driving is on the same side of the road I use at home, I love using stick (after that embarassing stall exiting the rental lot).

But it is too confusing to switch sides -- I'll always take automatic in left-side-drive countries.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
GBC

I also suggest a diesel; an automatic; and a trunk (boot) large enough to conceal all your luggage.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:28 PM

MY DH who is european kept stalling the Renault Leguna going up those tight windy hilltowns (not in Italy, in France). Scared me...made me all whiny and b*tchy! <GRIN>

I'd pop for the automatic.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody! After I posted, another Fodor's thread caught my eye about booking through the UK website of Autoeurope being cheaper than booking through the US website of Autoeurope. So I got curious and checked it out -- and an automatic was $800 cheaper on the UK site!!!!!

Think I'll get the automatic.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM

Hi Fall,

If you were a good stick driver in your 30's, you will be good at it now too. I haven't had a stick car for many years, but I always enjoy driving one in Italy! I always wonder, why do I forget how much fun this is?? Especially on the curvy roads!

You don't want a big car - parking and getting through tiny streets in hilltowns require a small car. Compact, VW Golf size is great. Definitely get diesel - there should be no price difference.

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

SuzieC,

I do all the driving abroad and I don't allow complaints. Period! Anybody who doesn't like being a passenger as I bomb through foreign countries is welcome to take the train.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle,

I had no problem driving a shift, but I have to admit I didn't all my shift driving in LA.

Flat City!

I have seen Italians stalling out in some hilltowns. I was more worried about picking up speed on the autostrade and just generally not getting my feet mixed up.

(kayd, I'm with you: I wouldn't drive a stick if I also needed to be driving on the "wrong" side of the road.)
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM

Fall,

I learned to drive and grew up in LA too. You'll be fine.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

PS: In case anybody is wondering, I do know the difference between pounds and dollars, and price of an automatic wasn't just less in pounds. It was less in dollars.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Diesel all the way. Cheaper fuel/better mileage. Here's a chart with price differences.

http://www.iru.org/Services/Fuel/Welcome.E.html
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
agree with bud, we always do deisel and shift so that we can dine better
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM

SuzyC...the same thing happened to us. Our car had a real penchant for stalling, and by the end of the trip my DH had decided that next time around we will rent an automatic. I haven't been nervous in a car before, but this one (even with an excellent driver) just wanted to be difficult.