Driving: Shannon to Dingle

Jun 27th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Driving: Shannon to Dingle

We will arrive at Shannon at 7:30 a.m. on 9/9/03. We drove years ago in Ireland but this will be our first time in 14 years.

We have reserved an automatic with Autoeurope. My wife and I are competent chauffeurs. From your personal experience-not website referrals-could you tell me:

-How long it should take?
-Where to get a plotted map like AAA does for the States-(they do not do it for Europe)

Thanks!!
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:19 AM

I'll be doing the same drive in a couple of weeks. According to the trip planner I use (http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp)) it takes 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:24 AM

try this:
www.aaroadwatch.ie

Enjoy your trip!
Wendy
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

The drive is quoted as 2:45 minutes on AA. I am a little "leary" as the quotes on time are sometimes inaccurate because of the Irish's sublime no-need-to-rush attitude.
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:00 AM

We used the AA trip planner during our trip last summer and found their driving time estimates to be pretty accurate. Of course, they can't take into account all road construction delays or recalcitrant sheep in the middle of the road. But, you'll be arriving early in the morning and getting your bearings with Irish driving, so you may find that you have no need to rush either!
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:17 AM

as you leave shannon there is a mcdonalds on your right...just next door is a convenience store....in march i stopped there and picked up an irish atlas book (11 euro) which was perfect for a driving aid...much better than the computer generated drives which often have mistakes in them or list things in a way which is difficult to follow....i think it is an ordance map...next go over to the mcdonalds and the manager sat right down with us and discussed where we wanted to go and made suggestions---a real nice guy...he had lived in the usa for a period...MAss....
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:18 AM

you can tell i can't follow directions---the mcdonalds is on your left...you can't miss it
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:23 AM

one more thing....autoeurope used hertz when we were there...the car was fine and so was the service....be careful when you return the car as they did not want to give me a print-out, which i insisted on---even had to see the manager....they over-charged me...my whole rental was to be about
$160, including the part to auto-europe which was about $32...when i got my amex bill they had charged me $161. in addition to the $32... i just let it go but will be careful the next time...still a great rate for ireland...

you know about using your credit card for the CDW?? only mastercard works in ireland....check it out here and with your bank
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I know of another couple who will be arriving Shannon at about the same and also driving to Dingle--maybe you could link up with them--they are nice people we have travelled with them often.
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM

a good rule of thumb is - 35 mph when estimating drive time. Possibly less if you are on winding , or highly congested roads.

As an example -
Shannon - Doolin is only about 50 miles, but took us 1hr 45 min.
by contrast -
Kinsale - Killarney is about 90 miles,
but also took us 1hr 45 min.

A lot depends on the roads & traffic.
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Hi Powell:

It might take a little longer but I highly recommend the road up and across the "Connor Pass!" If you get good weather it will be one of your Dingle highlights! (along with the Slea Head Drive!)
JOHN
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

As to the the respondent, "Murphy" ,he seems a real meddler. The last time he paired me up with "that couple" it was pub.....brawl pub....brawl pub....brawl. I would rather take the very sensible advice of you other kind folks who I now sincerely thank.