Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving route...Munich to Stein-am Rhine (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-route-munich-to-stein-am-rhine-613916/)

cparris May 8th, 2006 10:07 AM

Driving route...Munich to Stein-am Rhine

We will be driving from Munich to Stein-on-Rhine. Would you think it a more interesting drive on the German or Swiss side of Lake Constance? Any good stops for lunch?? or sight-seeing?

bavariaben May 8th, 2006 01:32 PM

My vote - German side - Lindau - Friedrichshafen - Meersburg. Lunch stop in Meersburg along the lakefront promenade - ferry to Konstanz - short drive to Stein am Rhein.

cparris May 9th, 2006 11:15 AM

You would take the ferry from Meersburg to Konstanz. That sounds like a good idea...it would cut out alot of driving. Do you need to reserve the ferry? Do they go frequently?? Thanks. Do you also know if it is easy to take a boat from Stein am Rhine to Schaffhausen and back? I know there is also a train.

Ingo May 9th, 2006 12:38 PM

I second bavariaben's recommendation. The German side of Lake Constance is considered to be more beautiful. I'd say it depends on the weather - if it's nice weather you can see the Alps towering up behind the lake from the German side.

The ferry runs frequently, no reservations necessary.

I would take the boat from Stein am Rhein to Schaffhausen and the train back. It is an easy and interesting trip.

I.

cparris May 10th, 2006 11:31 AM

Thanks. I really like the idea of taking the ferry. Should be a nice trip.

hhildebrandt May 11th, 2006 02:51 AM

bavariaben is right.

Years ago, when I was sitting outside a cafe at the lakeside promenade of Friedrichshafen, a Swiss lady complained to me: But you have a very much better panorama here, looking toward us, then we have, looking in your direction.

Be aware that Meersburg is quite crowded in summer.

For sightseeing:

Bregenz is out of your way, but there is a funicular up to Mt. Pfänder. You have an excellent panorame from its top - on beautiful days. They have an old town an a nice seaside promenade with an stage on the lake for their festival.

Lindauīs city, located on an island, is quite pittoresque. Also the lakeside promenade and the harbour.

Wasserburg, Nonnenhorn and Kressbronn are villages fit as a base for visiting Lake Constance. Same with Langenargen and Eriskirch.

Friedrichshafen has a quite nice and also quite long lakeside promenade. If you are a Zeppelin enthusiast, donīt miss the Zeppelin Museum located at the former Hafenbahnhof at the lakeside promenade.

Immenstaad is a nice village, Schloss Helmsdorf at its entry when coming from Friedrichshafen has a restaurant and a beer garden.

Hagnau is also a little, but nice lakeside and winegrowing village.

Meersburg is a lovely town, with pittoreque halftimbered houses and small places, but quite crowded in summer. The castle also is worth visiting, there is also a newspaper museum. Do some further google reseach on it.

The ferry Meersburg - Konstanz saves way and you have a boat trip on the lake with it.

Überlingen is out of your way, a nice town, living on tourists in summer.

Insel (island) Mainau also is out of your way. But if you like flowers, gardens and parks, consider a detour for a visit.

Konstanz (Constance) is a nice town, worth a visit, with an interesting and old-fashioned city with a cathedral (Münster) and a seaside promenade. Quite lively, as it is an university town.

cparris May 24th, 2006 04:56 AM

Thanks! I am really looking forward to this trip.