Notices

Driving, Provence and West

Sep 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Driving, Provence and West

Hi,

My family and I will be traveling to Provence next week. We'll be based out of Lorgues for the week and exploring the area with a friend who has spent a lot of time in the area over the years.

I am trying to plan the second part of our trip. My first thought is to drive west from Lorgues, with Toulouse being the end city before flying back to Paris. We have 4 days, but are flexible +1 day.

I know there is plenty to do if we want to stay in/around Lorgues, but we would like to see more of the surrounding area.

Have those who have driven to Toulouse from the East recommend it? Or is it worth exploring more of Provence?

Cheers!
Sep 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM

I wouldn't consider Lourges to be centrally located in Provence. That entire region is called "Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur". Lourges is in the Var department, which is in the Cote d'Azur - not Provence (although the region was historically called Provence). We've vacationed for 4 weeks near Lorgues, and 18 weeks in other areas in Provence.

I love Toulouse and the also love the area between Toulouse and Provence (vacationed there for 8 weeks) but most of the "must sees" in Provence are not near Lorgues. It would take 2 3/4 hrs to drive to the Pont du Gard, for example (I know - the Pont is in the Gard/Languedoc region).

I would just stay in Provence for your remaining days. Stay in the Luberon near Gordes or Roussillon, or near St Remy.

Do you have my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary - with info about what to do & see around Lorgues? I've sent it to over 3,000 people on Fodors. E-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach a copy to the reply e-mail. Do so soon - we leave for vacation in a couple of days. I also have a Langudeoc itinerary - ask for that one too if you like.

Stu Dudley
Sep 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM

PS - get back to Paris or CDG by taking the TGV from Avignon.

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread