Driving out of Rome

Search

Driving out of Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving out of Rome

I am planning an Italian trip this year and will be leaving from Rome to drive to Tuscany. It would be more convenient to rent a car near the train station but I've heard that driving in Rome is terrible. Has anyone made the trip out from Termini station headed toward Tuscany? Given that it is away from the center of town, is it manageable?

Thanks.

Jean
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:55 PM

Sure, we have done that but it really depends on where you are going. It may be easier to train to Chiusi or Florence to get the car.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:20 PM

Yes, we rented a car at the Rome Termini station and successfully got out of Rome and on to the main highway heading north into Tuscany. I found the actual driving in Rome to be easier than expected, however the signage is very poor. Make sure to get good directions to get out of town. It was really fairly easy but our directions were poor and we when we saw a entrance for a highway we had to guess that it was ours. Fortunately it was. I would say it is a very manageable drive with decent directions, an almost impossible drive without them,
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:18 PM

Why not take the train to somewhere like Orvieto and rent the car there. It's just over an hour train rice, costs about $10-15 (did it last summer, not sure of exact cost but info available on line), frequent trains. That way you avoid Rome driving and if you plan to stay a night or two in Orvieto (very worthwhile I thought) then you'd save an extra day or two on the car rental also.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:26 AM

We too picked up our car at Termini and had no problem getting out of town. In fact, we did get lost, but enjoyed going through a nice residential area we might not have seen otherwise. We stopped in Orvieto and had lunch there. It is an interesting town and the church very beautiful.

If you're used to driving in big city traffic you should get along fine. It is hectic with the Vespas darting in and out, but any good driver should manage nicely. Why pay for train fare when you can drive to Orvieto if you wish in your rental car?
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:59 AM

What day (& time) of the week are you planning to drive out? On weekends the traffic is not bad at all. If you have a choice, leave early Sunday morning - you'll have the roads to yourself.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:51 AM

We did this two years ago and it was no problem. Study your map in advance, plan a route and get good directions. You will be fine.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:25 PM
GaiusJulius

Its really easy to get out of Rome from the Termini, rent the car there. Then you can tell everyone you drove in Rome. They will look at you in awe. Really its easy.
GaiusJulius

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:50 PM

just did it 4 weeks ago - and not a scooter rider lost their life (which was my biggest fear!) It was a breeze! Have fun.