Driving on Easter Monday

Oct 28th, 2003, 10:46 AM
fsu42

Driving on Easter Monday

We are planning a trip to Italy next April, and our current itinerary has us leaving the Tuscany area on Easter Monday to go to Venice. We will have a car for this part of our trip, and were planning on dropping it off in Venice.

Is this feasible, or are we just nuts? I have read that the traffic on holidays can be a nightmare, but I wasn't sure if that meant all day, or if leaving early enough in the morning would help. The train would normally be a better way to go, but I'm also concerned about how crowded that route would be on this day.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 28th, 2003, 06:16 PM

topping

I'll be in the same situation, driving from Montepulciano to Florence that day.
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:26 AM

I was in Italy on Easter Monday a few years ago. We were traveling from Florence to Rome and got stuck in a major traffic jam on the autostrada. It really didn't seem any different than the traffic jams in the states except the Italians use the paved shoulders of the road as a driving/passing lane. They also seem to drive on the painted lines in the road instead of inbetween them.
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:15 PM
fsu42

kybourbon,thanks for your response. I suppose I should just treat the holiday weekend there like a holiday weekend in a major city over here, and plan accordingly. There are definitely worse places to be stuck in a traffic jam, that's for sure!

Search this Thread