Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving Munich to Rothenburg - Must See's?

Jun 28th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

We are driving from Munch to Rothenburg for an overnight stay. Any suggestions on a must see as a break during the drive? We are also driving from Rothenburg to Auf Shoenburg castle hotel in Oberwesel for an overnight stay. Any suggestions on a favorite route and things to see? Thanks.
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:24 AM

I suggest a stop in either Nordlingen or Dinkelsbuhl for a meal and walk around the town on the way to Rothenburg, and then a similar stop at Schwabisch Hall, Bad Wimpfen, and/or Heidelberg on the way to Auf Schonburg.
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Intrepid

Augsburg perhaps?

Jun 29th, 2003, 06:22 AM
jmw

Hi Meg, If memory serves,(7 years past) I found Nordlingen and Dinkelsbuhl to be paler versions of Rothenburg, albeit less crowded. Augsburg, on the other hand, is a historic city which should be an interesting contrast. Another suggestion, if you're into small and undiscovered, is Harburg -- a tiny village with a narrow street of old buildings, a stream with a beautiful stone bridge and swans, and a fortress up high on a hilltop. Now that would really be a break from a busy day.

As for Rothenburg ob.t., by staying overnight, you'll be able to stroll after the tourbuses leave for the day and then (as we did) get up at sunrise to walk outside the walls. If you catch it at quiet times, Rothenburg is still magical. J.

Jun 29th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Although this isn't exactly an answer to your question, I would suggest that you take the Rothenburg Night Watchman tour at 8:00 PM. The guide is a real showman who has all kinds of interesting stories. jmw is right when he says that you can get a really different impression of Rothenburg after the bus tours have left.
Jun 29th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions. Thanks. JMW... Harburg sounds like a great stop and depending on time we could add Dinkelsbuhl as well. Heidelberg sounds like good choice since it wasn't bombed in WWII. We are planning on the Nightwatchmens tour. Sounds fun. Thanks for the help.
Jun 29th, 2003, 08:17 AM
jmw

Hi Meg. I just spent a few minutes at Alta Vista looking at pictures, and it reminded me that Dinkelsbuhl did have a stream with trees along side, so it could well be a nice stop. J.

Jun 29th, 2003, 01:01 PM

We stopped in Dinkelsbuhl last summer. I think it would have been really enjoyable, except that there was a Brazilian dance troop in town the day we were there. They basically took over the town for the entire afternoon we were there. The band was extremely loud and they put on quite a garish dancing exhibition with showgirls trying to do their thing in high heels on the cobblestone streets.

I've nothing against Brazilian dance troops (the ladies were very attractive and not overly shy in terms of their dress), and would have enjoyed it if it had been a half hour or even hour long show. But they just kept going, and going, and going. The noise echoed throughout the town.

Finally we walked about as far as we could from the main square and found a nice cafe on a small square. We could still hear them, but the noise was muted. Of course, as soon as we ordered lunch the noise started getting louder and louder--sure enough the entire dance troop and their band was now parading through the streets, and right to our little square where they proceeded to put on the entire performance once again.
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:37 PM

Last November we drove rental car from castle are in southern Germany to Rothenburg, and stopped for a night in
Dinkelsbuhl, it was one of the nicest stops on our trip.