Driving itinerary for Southern Germany

Mar 14th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Grahame

Driving itinerary for Southern Germany

Message: My 14 year-old son and I are doing a dad/son 7 day driving tour of Germany in mid-April. Out of Frankfurt we head for Stuttgart (tour Mercedes) and then to Munich. After that, we are trying to decide between heading south to Mittenwald, and then head up the Romantic Road toward Wurzburg, or from Mittenwald head to Lindau, then Zurich and back to Frankfurt thru Heidelberg (268 miles). I've heard the Romantic Road is enjoyable, but I'm concerned we will be overwhelmed by tour bus's. Anyone want to weigh in on this rough itinerary, offer suggestions etc. BTW, we are comfortable covering large distances quickly if required. Thank you for any comments you choose to share.

Mar 15th, 2002, 04:48 AM

topping/consolidating/inserting prior answers to this same question (minor edits, to stay under 500 words)

Author: Rex ([email protected])

Message: It's a lot of driving (though no one day too brutal); you already seem to know that, and I think your ideas are just fine. It's not like there won't be more trips, if this turns out to be enjoyable.

I think there are better destinations than Zurich (Luzern, Bregenz or Sankt Gallen?) bit you may have your reasons to want to go there.

I can't believe that you'll find yourself "clogged up" by the tour bus crowds. There will be a few - - of almost no consequences.

You probably have little or no chance to get tickets with this little no notice (only 10-30 a day, 2-4 days a week) - - but the tour to knock your socks off in Stuttgart - - is Porsche. If you're an owner, contact your dealer immediately. You'll be glad you did.

Best wishes,

Rex

Author: wes fowler ([email protected])

I think you're a bit ambitious in your seven day planning. You'll not have that memorable or meaningful an adventure by trying to do to much. (Your son will, for example, be thoroughly captivated by the Deutsches Museum in Munich with its vast collection of everything from Daimler's first automobile, circa 1896, to a modern Formula 1 racer; from steam locomotives to space vehicles. He'll want to spend the day, assuredly!)

I have driving itineraries for Upper Bavaria that may be of interest to you. Drop me an Email and I'll forward them promptly.

Consider staying in an inn outside of Munich and using the suburban trains to access the city. Parking in the city is difficult to find and prohibitively expensive.

Whilel the Romantic Road passes through some charming towns: Rothenburg, Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen and Schongau to Fussen and the Bavarian castles, most of the truly fascinating sights (Alpine lakes, Baroque architecture, hiking trails, lie just off the Road. You can easily expend two weeks exploring the area. If you'd like suggestions for accommodations as well as the itineraries and sights to see, do feel free to contact me.

Author: Bob ([email protected])

Message: Heidelberg is a good place to end your trip as it is very close to the Frankfurt airport...1 hour. We always stay there and drive up on day home.

Did the Porsche tour this winter. It was good as one poster noted but they only take 15 people at one time and a dealer needs to set you up.

From Munich I would go to Garmisch and that area and then head over to the Bodensee and up to Frankfurt and Heidelberg. Zurich is a boring town, all business and traffic. Stay to the smaller towns and you will enjoy it more. Nothing worse than 5 o'clock traffic when you are on vacation.

Mar 15th, 2002, 03:58 PM
ttt

to the top

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:18 AM
victor

Follow Wes advice. You can't be wrong. We followed most of his advice for our trip. You can read about it at www.vgpma.com/travel/

Dec 29th, 2002, 12:56 PM
topper

topping for Andi