Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving in U.K. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-in-u-k-465970/)

coastalperson Aug 9th, 2004 11:37 PM

Driving in U.K.

I just recently returned from my first trip to the U.K. and loved the rail systems. Although I don't think I would ever want to attempt driving in London, I would like to get information on driving so that I can see other areas. Does anyone know where I could get information on driving rules and how to get an international drivers license. Is an international drivers license needed?

flanneruk Aug 10th, 2004 12:39 AM

Thank you for thinking about the rules first.

They're contained in the Highway Code (www.highwaycode.gov.uk). A visitor isn't required to know it, but may be guilty of an offence if he or she does something that doesn't conform to the Code.
Virtually all visitors with valid licences can use their own licence for a year. A summary of the rules around this is at www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm

Bob_C Aug 10th, 2004 04:06 AM

International Drivers Permit is not needed in the UK.

Eli Aug 10th, 2004 05:36 AM

I guess that the Highway Code compilation is important, but what does one do with the strange British habbit of driving on the left hand side??? No highway code will take you out of trouble here...

LisainSA Aug 10th, 2004 06:49 AM

Hello. I picked up a very useful web site on this forum - can't recall who originally posted on this. It is www.rac.co.uk. It has a route planner - you type in the city or town you are driving from and your then destination and it plans a route, lists the distance in miles and kilometres and gives an estimated time for the journey. I think it's helpful when planning an itinerary. I've used in it planning our Scotland trip, but I think it covers Europe as a whole.
Lisa.

mikemo Aug 10th, 2004 08:54 AM

I know it may sound bizarre, but I had a great deal of difficulty "knowing" where the left side of the car was in space. I literally had to ask Lady "L" to fold flat the L side mirror in London traffic.
No trouble at all with the "wrong side" of the road and driving position nor man shifting with my left hand.
'Tho I am way not, my Auto and M/C competition licenses are still active: I think my UK passengers thought I was trying to "nail" every apex as the L side tires were often on the "curbs". Very strange.

ms_go Aug 10th, 2004 09:08 AM

mikemo -- not bizarre at all. We had the very same issue. No problems at all staying to the left, making turns into the correct lane or using roundabouts. But judging the distance between the left side of the car and the curb definitely was perplexing, and something we still weren't used to after 1,300 miles of driving on our recent trip to Scotland.

PatrickLondon Aug 11th, 2004 12:56 AM

Just to stir the pot - driving on the left is not that strange. At least 1000 million people live in countries that do...!

Kate Aug 11th, 2004 01:22 AM

Indeed patrick, in fact something like 58 countries do.

And isn't the only reason Americans drive on the right is because they were anti-British and pro-French (who started the whole driving on the right thing)? How times do change.

The Romans marched on the left. Keeps your sword fighting arm at the ready. Something I always find useful.

flanneruk Aug 11th, 2004 01:25 AM

Or rather, at least a billion people live in just one of the 58 countries that drive on the proper side.

Kate Aug 11th, 2004 05:03 AM

The rule of the road's an anomaly quite,
In riding or driving along:
If you go to the left you are sure to go right,
If you go to the right you go wrong.

Don't ask me where I got that from. I've got too much time on my hands.

I blame Napolean, who instigated the whole on the right thing. Apparently he was left handed, so it suited him better.