Driving in Toulouse and Dordogne region

Old Mar 5th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Driving in Toulouse and Dordogne region

We’ll be picking up our rental car at the Toulouse-Matabiau train station @ 10 am on a Saturday, and driving to Sarlat. On the way we plan to stop for a while at Cohors then proceed to Pech Merle cave for a tour before continuing on to Sarlat.

My questions are:
1. From this train station what would be the easiest, least confusing way to get out of Toulouse and head north?
2. Does anyone have café or restaurant recommendations for a lunch in Cohors or Cabrerets?
3. I’m looking at the covers of France Michelin maps on Amazon and can’t really tell what all is covered inside on each of the maps. There are few maps we’re considering for the region in which we’ll be driving. One map includes Lot, Tarn, & Garonne, and another map covers Correze, & Dordogne and includes Les Eyzies-de-Tayac. A third is Midi-Pyrenees, while a fourth is Perigord Quercy. Do we need all of them or is there one map that covers each of these areas without sacrificing too much detail? Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 10:29 AM

The rental car company will help you, and so will a map, but basically you need to find the péage at Sesquières and get on the Autoroute des Deux Mers heading north to Paris. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.6...487263,9z/am=t

Cahors' best restaurant is La Balandre. If all you need is a café there are several in the center of town around the cathedral. In Cabrerets you could try Le Jardin de Cabrerets.

You want Michelin yellow map #329. I also love the IGN maps, which you can pick up at any supermarket, gas station, bookstore, or tabac.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 10:58 AM

We used google maps navigation to get into and out of Toulouse with no problems. If you don’t have data you can look on google maps at home and map your way.

We had less success using google maps in the Dordogne as the data from Orange kept cutting out at the most inopportune times so your Michelin map idea is a good one. Sorry I can’t help with particulars.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

StCirq and Natylou. We will probably get the Michelin #329 map and ask the rental car company for driving directions to the A61, then A62, then A20 just south of Montauban. I can't remember if we're getting navigation with the car or not so we may arrive prepared with a couple google maps. I'm looking online at the IGN maps but will wait until there to get the necessary ones. I'll look up the restaurants. Thank you.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Once you get into the heart of the Dordogne be prepared for intermittent or lousy or no GPS and/or bad google maps. It really would behoove you to have the #329 Michelin map or the comprehensive IGN one ahead of time and study them.