Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in the Cotswolds--Which towns to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided to rent a car in Bath on a Sunday to drive in the Cotswolds.We are considering Castle Combe, Bibury, Bourton on the Water, and Chipping Campden. Are there any others that are "must sees"?

Will there be TI sites open on Sunday to direct us to scenic areas?

Will there be restaurants, shops and pubs open on Sunday?
Thank you for your help! Laurie
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:07 PM

First of all - if the weather is nice you don't want to be anywhere near Bibury or Bourton-on-the-Water on a Sunday. It will be you and hundreds of other day trippers. There will be no parking and just masses of crowds.

The times for both of these lovely but over-visited villages are early weekday mornings or in the evenings after the tour buses have left.

If you must do this trip on a Sunday, go to smaller or off the beaten path places like Painswick, Stanton, etc.

How long will you be in Bath? If you can move your Cotswold day trip to a day other than Sunday (or Saturday) you will be able to see much more a LOT easier.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:02 PM

Yes... we also liked Stow on the Wold and Broadway.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:17 AM

If you get to Broadway, go to the very top of the high street and visit the christmas shop. Its really strange in summer.
Muck
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:56 AM
AllyPally

Definitely Stow on the Wold - very pretty, very historical.

Here is a nice place to stay/eat. Yes, pubs are open Sundays:

http://www.vines.co.uk

Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:27 AM

Laurie,

I just wanted to to confirm your desire to see Castle Combe. We went a few months ago and it was wonderful! It's about 3 blocks long, but we were there for 2 hours just walking up and down the 2 streets, taking pictures, and enjoying a pint in one of the 2 pubs.

It is SO charming, and the people in the one tourist shop were really nice.

Another note: Do you already have a car lined up? Most car rental places outside of the airports are NOT open on Sundays, so you would have to arrange for a special pick up outside of their normal business hours.

Karen
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM

I agree Sunday will be very busy and you may have a challenge to find parking. You might want to look at this website for more information on what to see and where to go.
http://www.thisisthecotswolds.co.uk/...wolds/tourism/
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:54 AM

PS-The town of Woodstock is lovely (also busy) but is where Blenheim Palace is located. I believe there's parking on the grounds at the palace.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Message: Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, Sunday is the only day we have to do this drive. I had originally planned this tour with Cotswolds Experience but they recently went out of business.

I already have a car lined up on Sunday thanks to Steve James, another kind Fodor's person.

I am sorry to hear that the towns will be so busy on Sunday, but I appreciate your suggestions for smaller lesser known towns.
Thank you all for your help. If you have any other tips for touring the Cotswolds on a Sunday, I would love to hear them. Laurie

Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:10 AM

We found Broadway to be the most charming of the towns we visited.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:11 AM

Hi Laurie (we meet again!)

There are so many lovely places in the Cotswolds you're going to have to be selective I think.

We all have our favourites, but if I had to pick a few must-sees I'd suggest:

Castle Combe
Bourton-on-the-Water
Lower Slaughter
Stow
Broadway
Chipping Campden
Winchcombe
Painswick
Burford

It's best to see Bourton-on-the-Water early (before 10.30) or late, - but don't miss it.

Steve
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM

Here is another helpful site: www.the-cotswolds.org.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions! I have taken many notes and we are looking forward to our drive in the country. Thanks again! Laurie
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:02 AM

If you get to Lower Slaughter there is a short walk through a field to Upper Slaughter. Walk past the building with the water wheel and look to your left for a gate. Note that the Slaughters and Burton-on-the-Water are within a couple miles of each other.

Castle Combe is also worth a visit. The origonal Doctor Dolittle with Rex Harrison was filmed there.

Lower Slaughter and Castle Combe are probably the most photogenic of any around if you are into photography.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Steve, Are the towns that you listed in order of which to see first to last?
I looked at the map of the Cotswolds and they seem to be situated together, except for Burford.

Thanks again! Laurie

Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:01 PM

Laurie-- WHen you land in ENGLAND, get a GOOD map of the area--

The Michelin maps are great as are a HUGH journal of a map that goes quadrant by quadrant---giving you insight into the smaller back roads--

It was the one we lived with- I think you can get it at Barnes And Nobles or Borders and Books-- it is about 12 x 24 " long..and spiral bound for ease of use....also has the larger overview maps to you really see where you are going...it was a lifesaver for us==we have used it on 3 different trips already.....

Definitely see Stow-on=Wold and also Broadway--lots of neat shops to go thru....

Have a great time!!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:06 PM

Bibury is very charming. From there, go to Northleach via the back roads, or take a different direction and hit Fairford (church with stained glass - altho on Sunday you would have to do it after services) or Lechlade (not so much for the town, but is very interesting scenery if you take the backdroads).

Whereever you go, just get on the backroads and enjoy!
Old May 4th, 2003, 05:56 AM
jmw

If you can figure it out, I'd agree w/someone who mentioned the tourist traffic likely on a Sunday. There are bunches of lovely places; I'd choose those less traveled. For example, I'd say no to Castle Combe on a Sunday. J.

Old May 6th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Laurie - Yes, I'd suggest you do them in that order.

The one which is slightly off the route is Burford, - and I'd probably drop it if I were you to allow more time for the Painswick area (- which is very scenic, especially if you get onto the country lanes ...)

If you can make an early start you could see Castle Combe and still be in Bourton before 10.30 to beat the tour buses ...

Steve
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Steve, Thanks again! This sounds like a great plan. We can pick up the rental car at 8:00, so we will get an early start.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions! Laurie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -