Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving in Switzerland-Austira-France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-in-switzerland-austira-france-985239/)

jtjt Jul 15th, 2013 06:02 PM

Driving in Switzerland-Austira-France

We are family of four and coming for a vacation next month. Unexpected trip planned suddently. we have 10 nights. I am planning for Zurich-Interlaken-Lucerne-Innsbruck-Salzburg-Munich-Strasbourg-Paris-Zurich.

1. Is it a good plan.
2. Is it too much to cover for 11 days?
3. How is the itenary from driving point
4. Any suggestions please

Flexible in changing the trip. Please help
Thanks

crckwc1 Jul 15th, 2013 07:21 PM

Way too much! Choose 3 cities. One choice might be Munich,Salzberg, Innsbruck. Do you already have your air tickets? If so, what is your itinerary? If not, you could fly round trip to Munich then go to Salzberg and Innsbruck by car or train, returning to Munich. Another option might be Zurich, Interlaken,Lucerne. Believe me, to see and enjoy anything, limit your destinations to three at most.

StephanieCreative Jul 16th, 2013 01:21 AM

I agree with the previous comment. Zurich alone is well worth a three-day stay. Paris is a long drive from the rest of these cities, so I'd definitely ditch that plan.

jtjt Jul 16th, 2013 04:29 AM

Thanks a lot, based on the input, I am skipping France entirely. The plan would be Zurich-Interlaken-Lucerne-Innsbruck (Stay a week at Schladming) and go to Salzburg, Vienna, etc and then head back to Zurich for return to US.
Let me know if limiting to these locations is good idea
Thanks

asps Jul 16th, 2013 01:15 PM

Just remember that Vienna to Zurich is a very long drive, something like 8 hours.

JAMH Jul 16th, 2013 05:47 PM

Don't forget to get a Swiss toll vignette or check to see if your rental car has one if you intend to drive on the Swiss auobahn.

Mimar Jul 16th, 2013 06:33 PM

I never recommend driving in Switzerland. The public transportation -- trains/buses/boats -- is too good, and it takes you places you can't go with a car. Some of the prettiest villages are car-free, like Wengen in the BO, for example .

One caveat: Switzerland is expensive. With 4 of you, you might save money with a car.

neckervd Jul 17th, 2013 01:32 AM

I would rather visit either scenic Swiss or Austrian villages, glaciers, mountains and lakes instead of Swiss and Austrian motorways.

nytraveler Jul 17th, 2013 10:36 AM

I'm confused - how many total day do you have.

First you talk about spending a week somewhere. Then you talk about visiting Salzburg, Vienna, Zurich - is this in another 10 days? (There is no way you can do this in 3 days.)

jtjt Jul 17th, 2013 06:26 PM

This is my itenary
Reaching Zurich - Aug 7th
Interlaken/Lucerne - 7th/ 8th and 9th
Reaching from Lucerne to Rohrmoos / Schladming 8971 Austria
Spend entire week from 10th through the 16th in Schladming.
During these days, planning to go to Inssbruck, Salzburg and Vienna.
Heading back to Zurich on the 17th.
Flying out on the 18th
Please let me know if this planning is good.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE INPUT

susan001 Jul 17th, 2013 08:03 PM

Hmm. One thing that really stands out to me in both your posts is this desire to see big cities near some of the most beautiful countryside in the world. As Neckevd mentioned, the train system in Switzerland is great. And the scenery in rural Austria and Switzerland is so steeped in beauty, I wouldn't be so eager to spend time visiting several different cities (that are not close together).

My favorite places in the region are Hallstatt, Austria, the Engadin valley in Switzerland and the alpine hikes around the villages of Murren or Wengen (the Bernese alps in Switzerland).

For spectacular scenery that you can enjoy (because you aren't driving), take the train from Innsbruck to Mittenwald, Germany (about one hour -- but breathtaking scenery).

SusannahT Jul 17th, 2013 09:30 PM

I think Schladming - Vienna is too far for a day trip - at least 3 hrs

In August I would be tempted to spend time in the Berner Oberland - Murren, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. Maybe 4 days or longer

Zermatt- Saas Fee area is also wonderful around Matterhorn

Zurich to Schladming is at least 6-7 hours drive

There are lots of wonderful places that are far closer

susan001 Jul 17th, 2013 10:56 PM

I agree with Susannah. Spend some time in the Berner Oberland (either Murren or Wengen, which are car-free villages). Someone just posted a trip report with photos today from a week-long family vacation in the Berner Oberland. Username: Indy_dad. I would suggest looking at his trip photos.

susan001 Jul 17th, 2013 10:58 PM

Here's the link to a recent trip report (with photos) in the region mentioned above:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-oberland.cfm