Driving in Swiss Alps in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to make a tour in Swiss Alps in mid September. I want to drive over the tunnel s insted of going through the passes;San Bernardino and St.Gotthard. Does anyone know the weather and road conditions? What would you advice? Many thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Should be fine--it is Sep.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were in snow storm on a mountain pass in Switzerland on 9/11 a few years ago..name of the pass began with an S, driving from Italian Lakes to Grindelwald. Not too much problem driving except for occassional white out.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM

As bob said, it's September so <i>should</i> be fine. The roads are, obviously, smaller than the main highways (but not tiny), wind around quite a few bends and have some amazing bridges to cross (esp St Gotthard Pass) so take your time, but the views are just spectacular. San Bernadino Pass is a little "gentler" than the St Gotthard, but still spectacular.

Both passes are usually open until October-ish, but perhaps check ahead of your drive (ie closer to the day of driving) on more accurate weather conditions and road situations. There's this site http://www.swissinfo.ch/ger/infos_zu...ml?cid=7766200 but traffic info (Verkehrsinfo) is only in German (or French or Italian), so if you don't read any of these, try a search on webcams of each pass and see what things look like or try the road conditions secdtion on http://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/web/e...onditions.html
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The passes are usually fine up to first week of October. Quite often, we'll have snowfall for 2-3 days in October but then it will melt and the passes will be fine again until mid November.

One cannot predict weather conditions in the mountains.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone.