Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving in Spain and Portugal (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-in-spain-and-portugal-275062/)

Ryan Nov 21st, 2002 08:56 PM

Driving in Spain and Portugal

I have a wedding to go to in Caceres in June and will fly in to and out of Lisbon. I am thinking about driving from Lisbon to Caceres, down to Sevilla and Cadiz then back to Lisbon. Mapquest estimates the times between Caceres and Cadiz to be 6hrs. Any ideas on times between Cadiz and Lisbon and Lisbon and Caceres? <BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Ryan

Ben Nov 22nd, 2002 02:54 AM

Hi Ryan: Never been to that area myself. I have a map that gives the distance between places and according to this it is a good &quot;ride&quot;.Cadiz and Lisbon is about 326 miles, maybe 6 hrs. Lisbon to Caceres close to 300 miles.About 5.5 hrs. Couldn*t your friends in Caceres give you better info?<BR>Good luck, Ben

Graziella Nov 22nd, 2002 04:06 AM

Ryan ! are you fortunate, I love<BR>Caceres, will you be visiting nearby Trujillo?<BR>Where are you planing to stop in your way from Lisbon to Caceres. If you have time do not miss Merida going South to Seville.<BR>For driving information check the best which is the www.guiacampsa.com.es<BR>This is the site of la guia campsa<BR>published in Spain. <BR>

Graziella Nov 22nd, 2002 04:20 AM

sorry, right address is<BR>www.guiacampsa.com, in there you have everything, estimate times, places of interest in different segments, etc.

Larry Nov 22nd, 2002 08:54 AM

We just returned from Portugal. During our two weeks there I drove 2400 miles... Yah that's a lot of driving, and I wouldn't do it again. Though, we did get to see a lot of southern Portugal and Spain, the next time I travel it'll be to spend a lot of time in a few places.<BR><BR>Although I read a lot of reports on how difficult it was to drive in those countries, in general, that's not true, The cities, especially in the historic, older sections, it can be 'trying'. But this is primarily because you're unfamiliar with both the city and the language. Also, traffic control is managed primarily with round-abouts, and yield signs. Throw in lots of motor bikes, scooters, and pedestrians... and it makes for interesting conversation when you return.<BR><BR>On the other hand, the motorways between major cities are very good. They're lightly traveled and have service centers at regular intervals. They are well maked so if you know the name of your destination or exit you won't have a problem. And, stay in the right lane except to pass. The cars may be small.. a Ford Focus is larger than average, but they'll pass you at 100mph. We didn't pass a whole lot of cars even though we were driving over the speed limit.<BR><BR>In urban areas the traffic is just like any US citiy.. no better or worse.<BR><BR>The six hour drive time, Lisbon to Cadiz sounds optomistic.<BR><BR>If you would like more info, feel free to E-mail. I'll look up Caceres, it might be near one the routes we took.<BR><BR>Laguage was, in general, far less a problem than we had expected. We had a handfull of Portugese and Spanish words/phrases.. that plus body language, worked well. More English was spoken in Portugal than in Spain.

alex Dec 1st, 2002 01:56 PM

Ben gave the wrong distance for Lisbon to Caceres. it is 300km or about 180 miles not 300 miles. I'm planning on making the drive in May. I hope it takes less than 4 hours.

antonioramos Feb 27th, 2003 04:45 AM

Hi<BR>I have found some sites that may help you, for hotels try:<BR>www.hotelsportugal.com<BR>for cars please check:<BR>www.portugal-spain.com<BR>www.drive-portugal.com<BR>www.travelers-portugal.com