Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in Scotland..need a special license?

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Amy

As an American with a current valid
drivers license do I need a special
permit to drive in Scotland?

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:06 PM
Karen

No special license is needed.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 07:03 AM
julie

however, you do need to be 25 years old. Driving around Scotland is the best way to see it--I spent 2 weeks doing it one spring. The trains just don't go to all the small villages and castles. A car is definitely a plus. Get a good road map and a guide to the castles in Scotland. Don't miss the Isle of Skye--among other things to see there--the Talisker Distillery!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 05:59 PM
Amy

Thanks Julie and Karen..
was not sure about this!
We are planning about 3 weeks and
do want to do the car thing.
The Isle of Skye is on the list.
By the by...what would you say
is a good "Guide to Castles"?

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Karen

Make one of your first stops(or call British Tourist Authority at their 800 number listed in your phone book) and pick up an AA(same as our AAA) tourist book. I buy the one something along the line of "Castles, Manor Homes and Gardens". It has listings, by area, and includes days and times of openings, area maps and a bit of info. on each...the tourist bureau may have alot of brochures and booklets too. Be sure you also buy a terrific map with few miles to the inch...mine is something like four miles to the inch. And have the best navigator do the map reading which is so important...the driving is easy, but map reading can be difficult. A good book store or map shop in your town would be a good source or Amazon.com...they could probably order something you want.
A