Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   driving in italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-in-italy-961292/)

Debcar7 Jan 3rd, 2013 10:23 AM

driving in italy

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in September. This will be the first time back in 28 years. We toured that time. My plan is to Fly into Milan and rent a car, go to Tuscany, and rent a villa for approx 4/5 nights. We would do day trips to Lucca, Siena,
Puglia, and possibly on other destination. Leave Tuscan drive to Rome and return the car.
Spend 2/3 days in Rome. The fly to Sicily and spend time with family. OR drive down to catch the ferry with the car. Any suggestions would be very helpful. We want to enjoy our time (about 16 days) including flying. Or the train has been suggested. ANY help would be
welcome. CIAO

StCirq Jan 3rd, 2013 10:27 AM

I wouldn't drive all the way back to Rome, and I certainly wouldn't have a car IN Rome. I'd probably drop the car in Chiusi or Orvieto and take the train from there. Rather than rent another car just to drive to the ferry (a one-day car rental is usually very pricey), I'd fly to Sicily from Rome.

panecott Jan 3rd, 2013 10:40 AM

I pretty much agree with St. Cirq about the car.

The car will be nice in Tuscany, especially if you're renting a villa, which may be remote, but the rest of the trip is quite doable on public trans.

Not sure about a day trip to Puglia from Tuscany, however. Without having a map in front of me, I think even the Gargano Peninsula, in northern Puglia, would be quite a long drive for a day trip.

The towns of Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Assisi, are all worth visiting. I haven't been to Lucca so I can't comment.

If you're visiting family in Sicily, will you need a car? And if you want to tour Sicily, unless you go to remote towns, the major attractions are easily reached by train or bus. I've been there 4x and never rented a car.

Another option would be to take the train from Rome to Naples and catch an overnight ferry to Sicily.

annhig Jan 3rd, 2013 10:52 AM

<<This will be the first time back in 28 years. We toured that time>>

Debcar, we toured Italy about 30 years ago, and believe me, where the increase in traffic is concerned Italy is no different to anywhere else only more so. an example - on our tour of Italy, in July, we drove right into the middle of Florence, found a hotel, and parked right outside with no cost for 3 days.

when we returned to Florence about 5 years ago, we used public transport and were so pleased that we had, because the traffic was terrifying. Also, they have things called ZTLs, which exclude all but permitted cars from certain areas; if YOU enter, you'll get a swingeing fine.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from having a car at all, and undoubtedly it would be useful in the countryside, but it'll be pretty useless in any cities, or even large towns.

Michael Jan 3rd, 2013 11:14 AM

Is there a Puglia other then Apulia in the hell of the Italian boot? If Apulia, it's not a day trip from Tuscany.

You could fly to Sicily or take an overnight ferry.

Michael Jan 3rd, 2013 11:15 AM

correction: not hell but he<b>e</b>l of the Italian boot.

annhig Jan 3rd, 2013 12:01 PM

michael - they are the same place, but much too far for a day trip from Tuscany - well over 600 kms.

perhaps the OP meant Perugia!

bobthenavigator Jan 3rd, 2013 12:15 PM

You do need to get a good map---Puglia is a FULL days drive fom Tuscany. And, why get your car until you arrive in Tuscany--just train to Florence from Milan---also a long drive. And, you will want to fly to Sicily even if your time permits going to Sicily. Your trip has potential but you need to focus on some travel logistics that will work for you.

PalenQ Jan 3rd, 2013 12:31 PM

there are also overnight trains between Milan, Florence, Rome, Naples and several towns in Sicily - travel at night and save on the cost of an overnight in a hotel - get a private double for the most comfort. Check www.trenitalia.com for pricing and specials. I've taken that train a few times and found it rather nice.

Zo Jan 3rd, 2013 12:33 PM

You need a car for Tuscany, but I would not want to get off the plane and drive there from Milan. Would take the train to someplace close to your villa (not Florence) and pick up a car there. And agree with StCirq - drop it off on the way - I've done Orvieto, which is very convenient and then train into Rome.