DRIVING IN EUROPE

Apr 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

DRIVING IN EUROPE

I was looking to travel to Europe one summer and I was wondering how easy, or hard, it is to drive through the different countries in Europe. Is it had to go over the boarders? Should you avoid certain areas?
Apr 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM

As long as you do not drive through the B&Bs, you should be able to avoid the boarders. On a more serious note, driving across the borders, at least in the EU is not a problem.
Apr 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
rex

Fairly useful recent thread on this: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34585272

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM

Driving is easy. I just came back from a 2 week driving trip in Spain. I recommend getting a really small car because the smaller medieval villages have VERY narrow streets. Also, pay extra for automatic unless you are really comfortable with a standard shift. Avoid city driving, streets are too old and it takes too much time.
Apr 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM

Several countries in the EU are part of the Schwengen treaty; those have no border crossing formalities at all. The crossings between non-Schwengen countries is also no big deal.

What is more important is where you pick up your car, where you drop it off (to avoid high drop-off charges, plan the pick-up/drop-off in the same country, nor necessarily the same city), and be prepared that some car rental companies and credit card companies may impose some make/model limits or insurance requirements if you want to take the car to some of the former Eastern countries.
Apr 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM

All the above advice is right on, especially about renting a smaller car if you plan to drive in cities.

Many European countries require "vignettes" or travel stickers you purchase at or right before a border. The cost depends on the length of your stay.

I have driven in England, Scotland, Ireland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Austria and Hungary and it was very easy, including border crossings - no problems at all.