Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving in December (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-in-december-404997/)

clingerj Feb 29th, 2004 10:55 AM

Driving in December

We have traveled to Germany several times but only in May through October. We are planning on spending a couple of weeks in Germany in December this year. How difficult is it traveling through southern Germany in the winter? Are most roads kept open, even to smaller towns? (By the way, we are from Florida - so no experience driving in these conditions).

Curious Feb 29th, 2004 11:14 AM

clingerj,

If you would repost with Germany in you header it would be helpful.

If everybody wanting driving information for Europe used "Driving in December" as their header, can you imagine????

C

clingerj Feb 29th, 2004 11:34 AM

Will do so, thanks. First time posting a message.

Winnepeg Mar 1st, 2004 12:41 PM

Here's some info from a New Jerseyan who just made a decision to leave the snow to live in Florida.I'll be in Tampa once I get back from my summer trip to Germany

Driving around Germany in the winter can be quite trecherous. In fact, as an example,in September 2002, our trip from St Johann Austria to the Gross Glockner was cancelled by the bus driver because they had 4 feet of snow on the Gross Glockner street heading up the mountain.

Driving up the mountain to the Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden was also dangerous. They had 3 feet of snow up on the Eagles Nest that week.

That is one of the reasons I usually take the trains. Especially in the winter time. The trains typically run even in some of the worst weather.

I think it makes most sense, if driving by car, to stay as flexible as possible. Stay positive if you get stuck somewhere. Avoid making too many plans. You'll always be able to find a small town somewhere with a comfortable room for the night. I imagine you will be striving to see some of the bigger Christmas Markets. If that's the case then there shouldn't be any trouble getting from one major city to another. Getting to the smaller towns could be trouble. Avoid too much planning of your trip if need be. If you get stuck somewhere because of the weather,who cares. Keep a good attitude and enjoy whatever area of Germany you are stuck in.

XMas time is an absolutely wonderful time to be in Germany. You'll have a great time. In fact, there isn't much nicer than being in some of those smaller towns, nestled in the German or Austria Alps, with a bit a snow falling outside.

Have a Gluh Wine for me!!!

clingerj Mar 2nd, 2004 06:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think the tip on not planning too much in advance on where to be or stay is a good one. Room availability should be more open at that time of year anyway. We did the Gross Glockner Pass in September last year and it was quite variable, even at that time. At one point, it was so windy (and very cold), that it was difficult to be outstide of our vehicle. Try to go back there. It was the most incredible scenery! Thanks again.

auntgrapes Mar 2nd, 2004 06:26 PM

We were in Germany 11/28-12/18 2003 with a rental car. We drove over 2200km and had some snow, ice and rain. We altered our plans once or twice, but not a problem. The drivers in Germany are excellent winter weather drivers. We spent 10 days in Bavaria and the weather didn't interfere with our travel. On the other hand, back in the late 60's we got stranded in the Italian Alps for two days by snow and sleet in JULY. You will be fine, don't worry about it.

rkkwan Mar 2nd, 2004 06:59 PM

Well, you said you're from Florida and has no experience driving on wintery conditions. To me, that answers it. Don't do it. Take public transportation and let the good German drivers take you places.

Bob1 Mar 4th, 2004 10:13 AM

We have done 7 trips to Germany in the wintertime to see the Christmas markets. Mostly at the end of Novemeber to early December. You will find some Bavarian roads closed for the season, but not too many. The Germans keep the roads in pretty good shape.

Just watch what you are doing, check the conditions and have a great time. Beautiful area and nice time to visit Germany. We always use a car as it gives you so much more flexibility. Take longjohns as some days will be very cold and some days can be sunny and not so cold. The longjohns give you some layering you may need.