Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in Croatia and Slovenia or use Public Transportation

Sep 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to Croatia and Slovenia April 21 to May 9. We would like to rent a car in Dubrovnik and return car in Zagreb.
I will have to do all the driving as well as the Navigating as my husband's eyes are not too good for reading.
Can I accomplish this task by myself? Are the road signs clearly marked? Would a GPS system be helpful aside from the main towns? I drove in Ireland 2 years ago and had no problem - in fact my atlas seemed better than the GPS. I will have an atlas for Slovenia and Croatia. I am a senior but have a LOT of determination. I guess I just need encouragement.

Alternately, would going by bus and boat be difficult and would we miss a lot? I like the independence of a car.
Sep 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM

We plan to be there the same time ,its a good time weatherwise. & will rent a car . we used bus & boat& cruised the islands on a motor yatch which was great at a reasonable price.last time we went.The roads are good $ the people are great, we have just bought a TomTom GPS that has the Europe maps in it .which will make it a lot easier .
Sep 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the input. By the way, as far as clothing is concerned, are nice jeans ok?
Sep 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM

I would drive. Just be sure to plan your routes well and study the maps in advance---use www.viamichelin.com to plan your routes.
Sep 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM

Yes jeans or any casual wear are OK.even in restaurants at night most people are in casual wear . don;t forget the season doesn't really start until the middle of May.
Sep 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM

We relied on public transportation when we were in Croatia a couple of years ago. We took buses up and down the Dalmatian coast, took ferries between islands, and rode buses on Korcula. It worked out fine for us, as the buses were fine, safe, clean and the schedules reasonably frequent.

That said, we didn't go as far as Slovenia, and we missed Plitvice Park because it would have involved a rather long bus ride.

I must say, that I would not have liked to drive the road from Split to Dubrovnik, not just that it is sort of hairy, but because I would have missed the wonderful scenery. On that road, you really can't watch the scenery and drive safely. Much more fun to watch from a bus window.

You will love Croatia!

Sep 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM

Depends on how much you're willing to spend on gasoline. We are paying $9.00 per gallon these days, so figure how much you're willing to spend on car rental and gas.

The roads in the north and central part of Croatia are excellent, and the highway from Split to Dubrovnik is not yet finished. However driving inland as opposed to driving the coast road does make any sense at all.

Croatia has 1185 island along the Dalmatian coast and to miss that view would be criminal. Driving from Zagreb to Slovenia and Istria and Plitvica to Split, ok. But the coastal drive is so spectacular, why miss the very best part of Croatia, the southern Dalmatian Coast.

By the way, don't let anyone tell you that the season begins here May 01. The mega ships start arriving here in March and April, and we are in full force by the first part of April. Some ships are still arriving in Dubrovnik in December. They have given us a break in January, only because of the winds and the sea.

Jeans are perfect, please don't bring white tennis shoes! You must have very good walking shoes, the pavements here were laid in 1667 and can be slippery when wet.

Dobrodosli