Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Please help finding that romantic budget restaurant...

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only 2 and a half more days until I'll see Paris for the first time! I'm afraid that's rather late for a German 28-year-old. ;-)

We'll get on the road on Friday after work and hope to make it to the hotel by 11 p.m. Booked a hotel pretty close to the Notre Dame on the left bank (for 100 Euro; about 300m from Metro St. Michel). Even though it's our way of celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary we're on a rather tight budget (doing too much travelling this year).

So I'm asking all you experts on Paris to help find a RESTAURANT for a nice DINNER on Saturday that's in walking distance to our place and where we'll spend something like 30 EURO each.
Yes, I've been through tons of threads on this forum but get more confused by every hour I spend on the internet...

I appreciate your help very much and am looking forward to all of your responses!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:43 AM
ira

Hi Kascha,

If you are cofused now, adding one more suggestion won't help.

Since this is your first trip to Paris, any restaurant will seem romantic. I suggest that you just walk around and make a reservation at whatever place looks good. Menus are posted outside so that you can see what it will cost.

It's about 4 blks from the metro stop to Boul St Germain, where you will find many, many, many places to eat.

See www.multimap.com

Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:46 AM

Hi,
Although I've never eaten there, I've heard good things (from friends) about La Fourmi Ailée, (8, rue du Fouarre - 5th arrondissement - Metro Maubert-Mutualité. Tel. : 01 43 29 40 99). Before I moved away from Paris, every time I used to walk past there I'd promise myself I'd try it out, as it looks lovely (like a little library inside), and not too expensive.

Also, Timeout gives quite a good selection of options here: http://www.timeout.com/paris/rest/9.html
Their reviews are usually pretty reliable.

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I know where to greatest accumulations of restaurants are - and what I'm really looking for at this board of passionate travellers and foodies is PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

ira, I'm afraid being used to the European charme and splendor of times past not ANY restaurant will seem romantic, but thanks.

hanl, thanks a lot for reminding me of timeout (hadn't used them since London.
There are two restaurants that seem to be a close match.

But perhaps there's still someone else with a suggestion???
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I think the prix fixe at l'Auberge de la Reine Blanche, on the Ile St. Louis should be around 30 euro. It's a tiny, charming place with good food; the walls are decorated with miniature furniture. Website is www.aubergedelareineblanche.com
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:25 AM

For some reason, the Auberge de la Reine Blanche website doesn't seem to be working. You can still find some info on google.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:31 AM
dln

I've mentioned this restaurant in two different threads because it's so Parisian perfect! It's La Maison Rose, in Montmarte. If you do a google (or Yahoo or whatever) search on it, you will come up with both photos and reviews of this romantic restaurant that won't kill your budget.

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite little place is in the 7th.

Le Clos des Gourmets
16, avenue Rapp
75007 Paris
Tel: 01.45.51.75.61

Very nice (and helpful) staff. Reasonable prices (I think pretty close to your parameters). The food is terrific. Take the metro. Bon Appetit.

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:39 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34436119

This thread has lots of suggestions. To find more like it, type "paris AND romantic AND budget AND restaurant" into the text box at the top of this page.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Le Cameleon on Rue de Chevre about 2 blocks from Metro Vavin - not too far from where you'll be. I happened across this place by accident and turned out to be the best meal of my life. The bill was a pleasant shock - dinner for two w/ appetizer, entree, wine, dessert & coffee came to about $60 US.

Le Cameleon 6me Arrondissement
Quartier : Montparnasse - Saint Germain
6, rue de Chevreuse metro: Vavin
01 43 20 63 43
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:41 AM

By the way, if you're interested; I'd be happy to give you plenty of suggestions for affordable, romantic restaurants in Paris that *aren't* within walking distance of your hotel...
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

THANKS A LOT, dear Fodorites, for all those interesting suggestions - I'll have a major google-session tomorrow morning (it's 7:45 p.m.) to check all of them out.

hanl, I'd appreciate your suggestions for a future trip - but since we only have two days, and that means one dinner, in Paris this time I'd really like to keep it close to the hotel.