Driving from Versailles to Giverny

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy! I'll be renting a car from the D'Austerlitz railway station in Paris, heading out to Versailles for the morning and then going on to Giverny for the afternoon. Would anyone have advice on driving? i.e., getting on the 'peripherique',? getting from Versailles to Giverny? etc. I bought the yellow spiral-bound michelin map book, so hopefully it'll help. Thanks

-eric

ps. With all the public transportation strikes going on now (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ike/index.html) is driving in and out of paris going to be one big traffic jam?
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:18 PM

Versailles is just to the south-west of Paris and Giverny is further out to the west, so you would just pick up the autoroute in the direction of Rennes. Le Havre. It should take less than an hour.

When I used to drive in Paris, it was always very busy but when the traffic is slow it gives you plenty of time to find your way!
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Hope this isn't too late. You do NOT go direction Rennes(that would be going west on A11). You need to go direction CAEN (& Rouen)which is north/west on A13. The entrance to the autoroute is quite close to Versailles. I have an old brochure for Claude Monets' which says to take the exit Bonnieres, which is just after the 3 Mantes exits. After you exit, signs should guide you to Giverny. A TIP: when you pay at the autoroute booth: ask the person in the booth for the free map("carte A treize&quot) of the A13. It will be far more detailed than your Michelin, & shows all stops,exits gas stations etc...
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:03 PM

The strickes make it difficult but I would take my chances on renting the car in Versailles (take the Metro out there). I drove in Paris during the strike and it took three hours to go 100 kms coming into town. Plus, I nearly had a heart attack in the roundabout around the Arc de Triomphe. The traffic jams were unbelieveable!
Old May 31st, 2003, 04:31 PM

This is not a quick drive. Are you planning on driving back to Paris the same day? Versailles is very crowded and often better to do by public transport. Giverny is worth the trip, especially if you have children. My daughter was only 3 when she went to Giverny and she can still identify a Monet easily. She watched the Linnea video a dozen times before she went, it is even now one of her favorite places. Giverny can be so crowded that even taking a picture without strangers in it is tough on a sunny day, so allow a lot of time.