Driving from Venice to Italy

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Venice to Italy

Hi everyone,
I am traveling for 2weeks and want to visit Paris, Nice/Monaco and in Italy Rome, Venice and Florence. My plan was to travel in/out of Paris. Buy another R/D Paris-Rome. While in Rome i would plan to take the trains to Florence (spend the day) and train to Venice (at least 2nights) and back to Rome to fly back into Paris. The hard part comes on how to include NICE/MONACO? I thought from Venice i could rent a car and drive into the french Riviera spend 1 night and back to Venice and train back to Rome. How easy and how long is it to drive from Venice to Nice? If anyone has done a similar trip, please feel free to tell me about the itieneray you came up with and how it worked out . I would also welcome airplane/hotel names etc... Thanks for all the advice
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I wouldn't do that trip as you described. It's possible but much too difficult for most people. You would find it almost impossible to enjoy any relaxing time on the French Riviera after that drive. If you decide to go ahead, take A4, A21, A7 and then A10 along the coast. Pick a city close to Italy such as Menton. My advice is --- don't do it.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM

This sounds very ambitious and too scattered.

First, get an "open jawed" ticket: fly into Paris and out of Venice (or Rome if that's where you end up). I've never heard of this being a problem.

Other posters will give you air info but my notes say our trip on the TGV (fast train) from Paris to Nice was 4.5 hours. There's an airport in Nice which you could use to fly to Rome or Venice. Again, other posters can tell you but I'd think trying to drive from Nice to Venice is WAY too far for the time you have.

Check TripAdvisor for hotel reviews and ideas within your budget.

Oh and stay tuned for how many posters remind you that Venice IS in Italy.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM

You must be joking. According to Google Maps (which you could have easily used to answer your question), it's 562 km from Venice to Monaco, a 5 hr, 20 min drive by car. You might just as well drive to Rome for the day - it's only 536 km, 5 hrs and 26 min. I mean, why use a train at all?
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi EE - ditto what everyone else has said. try breaking your trip down into a formal itinerary and you'lll see what they mean.

this would make more sense:

Paris - 4 nights - TGV to
Nice - 3 nights. train to
Milan - 1 night. THEN Either

somewhere on one of the italian lakes - 3 nights
Venice - 3 nights

OR

3 nights CT/Florence
3 nights Florence/Rome

that's 14 nights.

i can't see any way that you can do Paris, Nice, Venice, florence and Rome all in 14 days. not and stay sane!

I'm not saying that I personally would try to fit even 4 of these places into one trip, but 5 is crackers.

regards, ann
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Back to the drawing board, preferably with a map at your disposal. This trip is nuts.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I'm sorry - but this plan is a mess.

First you should get open jaws tickets into Paris and out of Rome. this will save all that backtracking multiple times - both time and money.

Just do the trip in one direction.

Start in Paris, take the TGV to the Riviera, then train on to Venice, Florence and Rome. This is still too much to try to do in 2 weeks and you will spend a lot of time in transit and not have enough time to see anything in depth - but it's twice as good as what you had.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM

I agree that open jaw is the way to go.
You will have a much better trip.
Fly into Paris and out of Rome.

I would do

Paris 4
overnight train to Venice. 3
Florence 3
Rome 4