driving from toulouse to castellon along coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this before and had no replies and cannot find my post on the forum! Anyway, one more try. I am driving from Toulouse, France to Castellon, Spain end of April. I can take 5 days. I would like to hug the coast as usually I do this trip in 6 hours on the motorway! Can anyone recommend an itinerary or even towns worth stopping in, restaurants and so forth that might be along the way? I know parts of the coast is horrible and I don't even know if you can drive along it! Or are there bits better to avoid and if so at what point and is there a mountain alternative?

Thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:18 AM

The drive along the coast isn't all that exciting, with some stretches being quite boring. With five days, when not cross over the Pyrenees at Ax-les-Thermes, then head for La Seu d'Urgell where you can spend the night at the Parador. The valley is beautiful most anytime of the year and the drive interesting.

From there you can head south to Tàrrega (where they have an interesting festival in September, the Tarrega Street Theatre Festival) and on to Falset for a couple of nights in the center of the Priorat wine region. From there you can continued inland to Cantavieja before heading to Castellón, or take another night and stay the night at the Parador in Teruel. It would make an interesting drive.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:29 AM

Use www.viamichelin.com to map out your itinerary, specifying the date of travel and the desire for a scenic route, and see what it suggests.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM

Robert and Michael have good suggestions; I use viamichelin a lot, great for comparing routes.

I've cut inland, down through Limoux (pretty square, nice lunch stop if you start late from Toulouse). Some of the scenery south of Limoux is stunning, one gorge in particular which scared the hell out of me.

In July and Aug the gorge is one way, alternating times, and waits at the light can be very long. From there we cut around Perpignan to Collioure. Yes, it's very touristy but off season (mid Sept) I loved it. The short corniche drive to Port Vendres is excellent.

The sea views and beach area closest to Girona are supposed to be pretty, we have a hotel recommendation from a good friend, I will try to look that up as well as the hotel and restaurants in Collioure.

Another inland route we want to take is down through the Barousse Valley (south of St. Gaudens), stopping in Lërida then on to Tarragona.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM

"In July and Aug the gorge is one way, alternating times, and waits at the light can be very long."

This is Gorge de Galamus, off the main road. The OP has no need to drive through it.

After Port-Vendres drive to Banyuls and Cerbère, cross the border and drive towards Rosas via Llança and Port de la Selva. Don't miss the monastery of San Pere de Rodes on your way and Empuries (Greek and Roman ruins).
The drive along the Coasta Brava is nice down to Blanès and especially stunning between Tossa de Mar and Lloret de Mar.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - so happy to have a few replies!