Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Sorrento to positano-difficult?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Siok

we're planning to visit italy in October. Staying for a few nights in almafi coast is part of our plan. We're planning to stay at positano when we're there. we'll be bringing our 10 month old baby with us. would anyone recommend driving from sorrento to positano? Is the drive difficult? is it quite safe? or should we take the public transport instead ?

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:32 AM
David

I think it really depends on whether you want to have a car with you while you're in Positano<BR><BR>There are two main roads from Sorrento to Positano...one goes around the peninsula and takes about 60-70 minutes. Drove it last week, it's not the most scenic part of the Amalfi Coast<BR><BR>Other alternative: you can just take the S163 over the mountains from Meta (just east of Sorrento), which connects with the Amalfi Coast road just west of Positano. This only takes 20-30 minutes. The road has a lot of switchback turns, but is well-paved, relatively wide, and lightly traveled.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Mike

Take the S163, it's beautiful. The only delay you would encounter this time of year is if two buses come around the same corner, ose to nose. It ould take an hour or so to back everybody up and off the narrow passages. Enjoy!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Janda

Hi,<BR> We took the alternate route David mentioned. It was fine. We had no problems at all. We did that route 3 times. If you havent driven in Italy before.. Remember that the traffic laws are never followed. Vespas can pass you on any side at high rates of speed. Be alert and focused. I heard an Italian say that the speed limit was merely a suggestion. And to top it off you can get a coktail at any gas station!!!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:02 AM
gb

We followed a local who took the "back way". Since we drove from Pompei we had seen a lot of beautiful scenery, and back way gave a back door look at the area. It seemed like less than 30 minutes from Sorrento to Positano. Unless my memory is wrong is seemed like 15 minutes. Or maybe the our friend took more short cuts.