Driving from Salzburg to Kranj/Ljubljana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Austria next weekend and I just realized we are going to be hard-pressed for things to do Christmas Eve and Day. Because of the holiday virtually everything will be closed except for a restaurant or two. We've never been to Slovenia and ViaMichelin shows it to be just two hours from Salzburg. Kranj looks to be an interesting old town. However the road appears to be through the Alps. Does anyone know what kind of road this might be? Is it likely to be cleared of snow? I am not afraid to drive through snow but don't want to end up on a goatpath in the middle of nowhere with no help available until the Spring thaw.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Two hours - if there was no other traffic and not the first season "rush hour".
Christmas to Jan 6th is peak season in the Alps, and you can expect LOTS of traffic.
You don't say how many days you have planned for Slovenia - as it is hardly a day trip.
Otherwise it's motorways only from Salzburg to Kranj or Ljubljana - and unless some major weather desaster kicks in, these roads are open 365 days a year, 24/7.
Expect to pay extra tolls to go through the Tauern tunnels between Salzburg and Villach and the Karawanken tunnel to get into Slovenia. And probably for a motorway toll sticker for Slovenia. You also need one for Austria, but if you rent your car in Austria it got the sticker for Austria already, obviously.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Well the plan was to just buzz over for the day simply because there will be nothing to do with everything closed. But it sounds like the ski areas nearby might be the only thing happening at that time. It might be too crazy with holiday-makers. It also sounds like it could be expensive with all the tolls and vignettes. I guess we'll pass on that and just hamg out at the hotel. Or maybe a train.....
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 06:40 AM

What makes you think that everything will be closed on Dec 24 and 25 in Salzburg?

Actually, only regular shopping is not possible: Stores will close from Dec 24 early PM hours until they open again on the morning of Dec 27.
Some Museums will be closed on Dec 25, but many sights like the fortress or the residence or Mozart's birth place and house are open on Dec 25. Most close earlier on Dec 24, though.
Christmas market is open, too
You find a full list here (only found it in German, though. But the only word you need to know is "geschlossen" meaning "closed")
http://www.salzburg.info/bdb02_sehen...nachten_de.pdf
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM

If you are thinking about a day trip, think again. It is a long drive over the Alps and not really feasible for a day trip. A day trip to Vienna by train (nominally more distant but the train is faster than driving) would be much easier, just to tell the first thing coming to my mind. Slovenia may be nice, but Austria and nearby Bavaria are nice too, even more.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information AND advice - luckily I used the former and ignored the latter. Driving time even during "ski season" (December 26) was less than 2 hours despite some snow near Villach. Not only did we have plenty of time to see all there is to see of Kranj, thanks to their very accommodating tourism office, but we also spent some time in beautiful Bled as we headed back. Based on the somewhat depressing weather and drab winter light I would recommend visiting sometime when the landscape is a bit more verdant. If anyone asks me, I'll tell them it can indeed by done and it is a rather interesting little detour. I now know I'd like to return and give it my full attention sometime.