Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Rome to Tuscany advice please

Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I will be renting a car and driving from Fiumicino Airport, to a villa in Montisi. The "Google" recommended Route is up A1. I would like an pros and cons on the A1 rout versus a more senic route following SS2 north through Ronciglione, Viterbo, past Lago di Bolsena and through Montipulciano. I am not overly concerned with time or distance. Thank you to all the Fodorites who respond. Any additional adivce on internet sites for planning and driving tips would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM

I've done both. The scenic route is not that 'scenic' IMO.

I'd suggest the autostrada until the Chiusi exit (about 2 hours) and then past Montipulciano to Montisi.

(Use viamichelin.com)
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM

I'm not agree, SS2 (via Cassia) is one of the best routes in Central Italy. It depends on how many time you have, A1 highway is obviously faster and doing as TuckH suggest you're going to be in Montisi in less than 3 hours, but anyway it would be a pity to pass nearby Orvieto without making at least an half-day stop there.
But IMO the best is taking via Cassia from Rome, and go further trough Lago di Vico, Lago di Bolsena, make a diversion to Bagnoregio and Orvieto, back to via Cassia until Buonconvento and then Montisi. Total 270 Km. (170 miles) in one very full day (better in 2).
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM

Orvieto is (almost) a stone's throw from the autostrada and there's an exit right there. I certainly agree that it (and Civita di Bagnoregio) is well worth a visit.

The via Cassia is at its most scenic once it comes into Tuscany well north of Lago di Bolsena.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM

Hi rolohof_duvall - Check out via Michelin also for route suggestions. However, I agree with the other Fodorites on a combo of A1 and S2. Chiusi is only 30 minutes from Montisi so you would mostly be on the A1 if you followed TuchH's suggestion. What about the A1 until Orvieto and then crossing over on S71 to take a look at Orvieto. You cn go north to Montisi via S2? Google does offer the option of dragging your route wherever you want it so you can try that and see how long the actualy driving will take so you can plan a visit to Orvieto or anywhere else.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank to MacinPV, Tuck H, liberosette. I believe I will opt for a combo A1 and S2 of some sort. A day trip from Montisi to Orvieto is also a possibility.

Macinpv, We will see you there!!!!!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM

rolohof_duvall - back at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!