Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Rome to Siena - what should we see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 09:40 AM
Sul Ross

We will be driving from Rome to Siena on a Saturday in June - have the day to get to Siena. What would be the best places to see on the way and what's the most scenic and interesting route? We've thought about stopping in Orvieto, Montalcino, Pienza and Montepulciano, but realize that may be too much to cover in one day. What would you suggest as priorities?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 09:53 AM
Rex

I think one of these can fill your day - - if day means the "normal" leave at 8:00 or 9:00 - - and hope to arrive in siena btwn 5 and 7 pm.<BR><BR>Orvieto is high on my "wanna-do" list - - I don't think you can just buzz in and buzz on. It sits high on a hill ("tufa", I think), and apparently, there is a funicular to get you up there. I'm not sure about cars "up on top".<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 10:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I love that drive. Get off at Orvieto and plan to spend 2 hours there, Then, get back onto the back roads to S-2 north to Radicofani and eventually to Bagno Vignoni. This is all on the route and will not add to your driving time.<BR>S-2 then goes directly to Siena. Save the other towns for when you have time.<BR>You can drive into Orvieto from the west of town--right up to the Duomo.<BR>You can do the whole magilla, with stops, in about 6 hours. Good luck !

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:28 PM

to the top, for Sul<BR><BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:56 PM
Vincenzo

Sul, your idea is very good and also the suggests of Rex and Bob. <BR>Anyway, my suggest is to avoid highway, take road for Viterbo and have a nice stop in Montefiascone, a very nice town. Then, going on, another very nice stop is in San Quirino d'Orcia.<BR>So you cover your day.<BR>Have a nice trip.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:56 AM
George

Took advice from Bob the Nav about this from a previous post about Orvieto. Advice was "spot on" as the British say.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:51 AM
Dario

A Sienese advices to take Bob's advice, take the ss2. On the other hand if you are spending only 1 night in Siena then get there as quick as possible!!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:09 AM
Laura

What if you are driving from Rome to Siena and staying in Siena 2 nights? Is it more important to spend time in Orvieto, or skip Orvieto and instead spend time in towns like Montalcino, Pienza and Montepulciano? I read descriptions of all 4, but it's hard to tell how much time you need in each town. After 2 nights in Siena, we are going through Chianti region on the way to spending a few nights in Florence. Any thoughts?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:30 AM
anon

topping, for Laura's question...<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Leslie

I do not know Montalcino...but have been to Montepulciano, Pienza and Orvieto and liked Orvieto the most. I think is was the fabulous Duomo, or the central piazza or the lovely ceramics shops... I just felt it was slightly more interesting than the other two.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:27 PM
ppp

Sul Ross, I´m with Dario: if you´re spending a single night in Siena, I´d take the fast route and stop in Orvieto for a short visit and early lunch, hitting the road once again not later than 1pm. I´d take the fast route to be in Siena as soon as possible (1:15 hours). <BR><BR>Having 2 nights in Siena, Laura, it depends on how many hours you feel like being underway. You may leave Rome at 8am and hit Orvieto by taking the fast route (arriving around 9:15am). If you leave Orvieto around noon, you´d be in Montalcino before 1:30pm. You may have lunch and hang around till 5pm or so. The drive from Montalcino to Siena takes less than 1 hour.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM
Dayle

For Laura:<BR><BR>We used Orvieto as our base for 3 nights. We spent 1 1/2 days seeing Orvieto. Then did a day trip to Deruta & Todi. Plus an afternoon to Civita di Bagnoreggio - not to be missed!<BR><BR>We loved Orvieto! In May, there were very few tourists (other than us). It seems most people/tours come about 10am see the duomo & leave by 2pm. So you have this wonderful, beautiful town all to yourself the rest of the day & evening. It's a great town for strolling, shopping, dining. Food & wine are fabulous & the restaurants in caves are fun. You can't get lost since it's like an island in the sky. Lots of contemporary artists live, work & show here.<BR><BR>We saw:<BR><BR>Duomo<BR>Etruscan museum<BR>cave tour<BR>Etruscan tombs<BR>historic well<BR>I visited the hospital for a sinus infection & even that was easy & interesting!<BR><BR>One morning we wandered into a church that was unfurnished & deserted. A lovely gentleman in a suit, who turned out to be the Pres of the Historical Preservation Society, gave us a tour. He showed us a recently discovered & very ancient fresco that had been uncovered in the course of restoration. These are the little personal encounters that make great memories!<BR><BR>We also got a kick out of how you arrive in Orvieto! We parked in the parking garage -- at the opposite end of town from the train statin & funicular. From there you take a series of underground escalators to get up to town. Never done that before!<BR><BR>If at all possible spend a night in Orvieto. You won 't be sorry.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:45 PM
Sul Ross

Thanks much to all for your suggestions. Just recently discovered this web site, and it's a tremendous help. We will have 2 nights in Siena. Sounds like Orvieto should be the priority on the drive from Rome. If there's time after that, what's the best stop - Montalcino, Pienza or Montepulciano? I've heard the drive between Montalcino and Montepulciano is beautiful. Is it worth the extra time of getting off S2 when final destination is Siena?<BR>Thanks again,<BR>Sul

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:08 PM
topper

good thread.<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:18 PM
Dayle

Topping for Capo...