Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Rome to Pompeii....Your detailed directions are needed!

Aug 14th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Scott McDonald

My family of five(including three teenagers) will be in Italy next week and we have arranged a rental car to drive from Rome to Pompeii and back one day. I'm pretty confident about finding my way to the main southbound highway towards Naples from downtown Rome, but even looking at a fairly good map, I can't really see the best way to skirt Naples and go direct to Pompeii. Have you done this? Are there route numbers you can suggest and when we should start looking for them? How about the right exit for the Pompeii archeological site? Any tips on parking there?

Any other sites you can suggest along the way(and how to get there by car) would also be most welcome.

Thanks so much in advance.

Scott and Family

Aug 14th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Paulo

I don't remember which exit on the A3 Autostrada I used (last time was some 3 years ago...). Anyway, either there is a clear indication to Pompeii Scavi or I just used the Pompei exit.

Coming from the north your should drive as if you were going to Naples (be careful when you reach Caserta no to go on straight to Salerno). You'll pass the exit to A16 (to Avelino, Bari) on your left and Airport to your right. Further south you should take A3 to Salerno (and not into Naples).

See for yourself in the sequence of maps

http://infotrafic.quattroruote.it/Ca...a=907&pos=cart
http://infotrafic.quattroruote.it/Ca...=9007&pos=cart
http://infotrafic.quattroruote.it/Ca...=1008&pos=cart

As for other sites to be eventually considered there would be a choice of Herculaneum, Sorrento or the immense La Reggia palace in Caserta (kids would like it). If you decide visiting the palace though, you should do so before getting to Pompeii once opening hours should be from 9:00am to 1:30pm (won't bet my life on it).

Paulo

Aug 15th, 2000, 02:20 PM
gb

We drove the route last summer, and missed the exit to Pompei scavi. I don't know if it is not clearly marked or we were distracted. We overshot the exit, and took an exit that landed us in Pagani. From there, it was a bit confusing to get back to Pompei. See if you can find a Touring Club of Italiano map of Campania region, or one from It is quite detailed, and would be helpful.

Aug 15th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Pat McDonald

Scott:My niece and I will be in Rome next week as well. I was trying to find a one day excursion to Pompeii. do you know of any? We will be renting a car to go on to Florence, but I preferred not to drive down to Pompeii. People that I have talked to suggested that the one day trips would be an easier way to go.

Aug 15th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Dan

Scott:

From what I recall (don't hold me to this!) there are two exits for Pompei. You want the second one and the sign will have, among other things, "Pompei Scavi" on it highlighted in yellow. That section of the autostrada is very old and narrow, and the "exits" are more like "T" intersections, so it's easy to miss - watch for slow entering and exiting traffic too. Stay right as best you can and pay attention to the signs. You will only have a few hundred meters notice and like I mentioned the exit is almost 90 degrees off. The entrance to the ruins are right off (to the east)the autostrada past the toll booths, and you can see them from the highway. Good Luck!

Dan

Aug 17th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Mel

Don't stop or get lost in Naples. I have heard and experienced horror stories.