Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving from Rome to Naples..how long?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-from-rome-to-naples-how-long-94247/)

ev Nov 19th, 2000 12:23 PM

Driving from Rome to Naples..how long??

Trying to decide whether to drive or fly from Rome to Naples -- then to the Amalfi Coast. Can anyone who has driven Rome to Naples let me know about how long it takes? Also, is it the same procedure as renting a car in the U.S. or is there additional documentation required? Thanks for the help.

nikki Nov 19th, 2000 12:33 PM

Not fromt he USa so cant answer your question on car rental but a year ago, we did a bus from Rome to Sorrento on the Almafi coast and it took 3 hours which included a stop off at Montecassino. <BR> <BR>PS they drive nuts in italy be warned!!!!

Ed Nov 19th, 2000 01:13 PM

2 - 2-1/2 hours for Roma-Napoli, maybe a bit longer. Could be an extra hour depending on how long it takes you to get in and out of the cities. Somewhere around an hour or less for Napoli-Sorrento ... again depending on how much traffic getting out of Napoli. <BR> <BR>The drill for a rental in Europe is the same as in the US, though they'll want your passport, of course, to verify identity. <BR> <BR>Ed

Nancy Nov 19th, 2000 04:27 PM

It is really not a bad drive from Rome to Naple on the autostrada. Stop in one of the rest stops for a sandwich - delicious and breaks up the trip a bit. <BR>

ev Nov 20th, 2000 03:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Think it will be better to drive instead of going in and out of airports from Rome to Naples. How about from Naples to Positano? How long should that take? I know a lot depends on the traffic and the roads are full of turns, but any advice and approximations will be appreciated.

Paulo Nov 20th, 2000 05:09 AM

I've never driven directly from Naples to Positano ... but it should take not very much more than to Sorrento. I would estimate about one hour or so to cover the 60km if traffic is not too intense. But this may turn accademic if you, for instance, decide visiting Pompeii enroute! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Paul Nov 20th, 2000 05:45 AM

I drove last year from the Rome airport (Leonardo da Vinci) to Sorrento - 3 hours. Of course, it was late at night (midnight when we left), so the traffic was light. But it's an easy drive. Just follow the signs out of the airport for the GRA and the A1 to Napoli, follow the GRA to the A1 south, and keep going!

James Wyatt Nov 20th, 2000 11:50 AM

2.5 hours to drive, but train is better, the views enjoyable, it's quick and comfortable (pay the extra to go 1st class). Get a car in Naples for the drive down to Positano. It's a truely wonderful drive and can be done in under an hour - but take your time, stop en-route to admire the scenery, stop for lunch somewh

James Wyatt Nov 20th, 2000 11:55 AM

I'll finish!! Don't bother driving in either Rome or Naples - it is quite chaotic unless you are a very agressive driver. Once in Positano, go on to Amalfi as the coast is also spectacular

ev Nov 20th, 2000 05:56 PM

James: How long does it take to travel by train from Rome to Naples, and how much is 1st class ticket. Might consider the train, since my husband is a "train" kind of guy. Thanks.

Paulo Nov 21st, 2000 05:12 AM

Direct Eurostar trains from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale take about 1:50 hours. Trains run every 2 hours or so. If there was no recent change, 1st class tickets should cost Lit 62,500. There are also less frequent IC trains that take more or less the same time. Ticket price is Lit 48,500 + 5,800 reservation fee. <BR> <BR>Paulo

suzanne Nov 21st, 2000 10:23 PM

Unless you already have a car for some other reason, I agree it's better to take a train. You can even skip Naples & go directly to Sorrento or Salerno & pick up a car there; must less traffic. <BR> <BR>I haven't traveled from Sorrento to Positano but have been to Amalfi and Positano by the Amalfi Coast highway. It is a beautiful drive but very slow because of the many curves and narrow road. Traffic can back up when the tour buses need the full road to negotiate the sharp turns. The section from Amalfi to Positano is extremely winding. If you want to avoid the drive, boats travel between Amalfi & Positano & other towns. I recommend the boats unless you plan to stay overnight & need your luggage and car. <BR> <BR>You shouldn't have a problem renting a car anywhere unless you're like me and can't drive manual transmissions. Many car rental offices away from the big cities don't have automatic cars. Then it's handy to travel with someone who can clutch & shift.