DRIVING FROM ROME TO ADRIATIC COAST

Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
MIKE CONCORDIA

DRIVING FROM ROME TO ADRIATIC COAST

WE ARE VISITING THE TOWN OF ROSETO ON THE ADRIATIC COAST IN JULY 2003.
WE ARE RENTING A VAN FOR THE TRIP. LEAVING FROM ROME .I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN IN ITALY AND DON'T SPEAK ITALIAN. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
THANKS,MIKE CONCORDIA
E-MAIL [email protected]

Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
LJ

The drive you are suggesting is a relatively easy one along excellent and scenic highways. I am without a map at the moment and don't know Roseto spcifically but the coastal towns are well marked as you exit the main highways.

If you have never driven in Italy before I would make two suggestions. The first is that you do not attempt to get in a rental car at the airport minisutes after you get off an overnight flight from North America. This would add an element of stress you really don't need. Take a train or cab into Rome, nap, sightsee, have dinner and a good nights sleep and then head back out to the airport the next day and the drive out to the coast will be a breeze.

The second is: Do not book your rental out of downtown Rome unless you have nerves of steel. For a first-timer unfamiliar with both the city layout and the pace of Italian driving, city and highway, this is a recipe for disaster.

The language thing is not likely to present a headachde, get a good AGIP map for Italy (or you specific region, is it Abruzzo?)from the first gas station you come to and follow along.

BTW, and apologies if your a first time poster but using all upper case, (capitals) in your message is the equivalent of shouting in a library i.e. "not done". It makes it hard to read, too.

Have a great trip, thats a beautiful part of the world and my husband and I are looking forward to a year in the Abruzzo ourselves, soon!