Search

Driving from Prague to Salzburg by way of Cesky Krumlov

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Prague to Salzburg by way of Cesky Krumlov

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Prague for 5 days in September. From there we are overnighting in Cesky Krumlov and then going on to Salzburg. Can anyone recommend a driver to take us or is renting a car and driving ourselves pretty easy? My husband is hesitant to drive not knowing the language, the road conditions and parking situation. Taking the bus would be our last choice.

Any advise would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Check out www.mike-chauffeur.cz
We have used his service a couple of times and were very pleased. He is also recommended by Rick Steves
and others on this website. His Uncle Jan drove us from Prague to CK and Mike drove us on a scenic route from CK to Passau. His business seems to be doing well and he is offering more services.Hope this helps.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Have you driven in Europe before? If so, it's not that different. We did your route a couple of years ago with no problem. Just be sure your rental car is OK for whatever countries in which you plan on driving
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have an e-mail into Mike's Chauffeur but I have not heard back yet. As far as driving, I will pass your information on to my husband. He has driven in Europe before, but it's been several years.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM

In addition to the good advice you have already received, it is a very easy route to drive and navigate - probably one of the simplest my husband and I have ever driven. I would definitely drive if it were me. All you have to do is memorize a few words (exit, etc.) and you will be fine.

If you do rent a car do pick it up after Prague as it would be a nightmare having it in the city (parking, etc.).

Road conditions in the Czech Republic, Germany, Austria etc. are usually excellent. We often take the B roads to enjoy the drive more slowly and even those are in much better condition than where we live!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
The drive from Prague to CK is very easy. We just did it six weeks ago. It took us 2 hours and 20 minutes. CK is a great, little town.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
jgg

Just agreeing with what everyone else said. We just did that exact drive about 2 weeks ago. Very easy and simple. If your hotel in Cesky doesn't have parking (ours didn't), the public parking lots are not very far away at all. Just be sure to get the little vignette stickers on the car (one for Czech Republic and one for Austria). You can buy them at most gas stations.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Is it worth it for one person to rent a car for one day to visit CK from Prague? One advantage is being able to stay later becaues there may not be later buses back to the city. The website for the bus and train schedules is not the easiest thing to decipher unless I'm pulling it up wrong.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about renting a car and driving. Now I just have to convince my husband.

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM

be sure you find out the drop off charge for the one way rental, they can be very expensive, Mikes does the trip as does www.prague-airport-shuttle.com
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 05:35 AM

We will be in Prague for 5 days in about 3 weeks. We want to do a day trip to CK. Thinking about renting a car and driving ourselves for the day. We are staying in a private apt in Prague. Do you suggest going back to the airport to pick up the car or is there somewhere in Prague we can rent a car and drive easily out of the city. Thanks
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM

We used Mike's Chauffeur service last month. Our driver, Frank, was as sweet as can be. We went CK and on the way back stopped at a couple of other places, including CB (which I almost liked better). Originally I thought about renting a car but between the extra time it takes to pick it up/drop it off, the hassle, and the cost of gas, it was worth it to have someone drive us.

I don't think I'd rent a car to go from Prague to Salzburg, mostly because you'll probably get hit with a huge drop off charge.