Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Driving from plitivice lakes to Sarajevo and on to dubrovnic thru Mostar
Notices

Driving from plitivice lakes to Sarajevo and on to dubrovnic thru Mostar

Oct 31st, 2013, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Driving from plitivice lakes to Sarajevo and on to dubrovnic thru Mostar

Can anyone help with advice on conditions of the roads for this route please. Also time it may take to get from plitivice to Sarajevo? We're thinking we'll need a stop somewhere in between
. Maybe at Jajce or Bugojno? Any advice on any of the above including possible accommodation please?
Thanks
Oct 31st, 2013, 06:04 PM
kja

Check viamichelin and/or mappy for directions and timing. These are beautiful places - enjoy!
Oct 31st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kja for this response.
I had always been wary of the emaps in case they don't take road condition or terrain of the area, into account - so thank you for providing ones that you consider would consider take all those things accurately.

Would we need to break the journey and would it be necessary to do this once or twice. I realise this would depend on whether we wish to explore the area. Although we wish to experience this area, our main aim is Sarajevo, then Mostar but we don't want to do the trip at such break neck speed that we see little of what we pass through.
Thanks for your help
Oct 31st, 2013, 06:57 PM
kja

My experiences with viamichelin and mappy have not been entirely problem-free, but IME both have offered good, reliable info. Be sure to check whether they are calculating times for a reasonable time of day (depending on where you are, one/both may plan a route that starts in the middle of the night). And my advice is that if they differ, assume that the longer one is correct. Be sure to check either or both close to the time of your trip, as there can be road closures etc.

FWIW, I thought it worth staying overnight in Plitvice and then spending about 6 or 7 hours in the lakes. I thought Sarajevo worth at least 1.5 days if at a fast past; 2 days would be much better. Mostar can be seen in part of a day, but is much more special in the evening after day-trippers have left, and there's enough to see to easily give it at least 1/2 day on either side (or 2 nights with a day in between).

To provide further comments, we would need to know more about your itinerary and your interests.

Search this Thread