Search

Driving from Paris to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Paris to Venice

Hi
We are driving from Paris to Venice in October 2006 we arrive early morning in Paris and don't intend to stop there, we intend to set off straight away can someone suggest the best route and suggested stops we plan to take 3 days to get there. We are Aussies so are used to driving long distances.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM

Take a look at mappy.com.

Have you made your car rental reservations yet? Will they allow a Paris to Venice rental?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are leasing a peugeot which is a great way to go. We have done it before it is cheaper than hiring but you have to have the car for a minimum of 21 days. We are picking up in Paris dropping off in Rome.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
bsm

If you have done it befor why are you wasting our time. Mappy.com
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM

You say you are Aussies, but don't say whether you will be arriving in Paris after a flight from Oz. If you are (yes, I know there probably a stop in Singapore, Hong Kong, or the like) you are gonna be jet lagged out the wazoo. How far do you plan to drive the first day?

I don't know your schedule, so perhaps this an unnecessary caution, but I'd be mighty careful if I were you. Why not stop for the night just an hour or two outside Paris?

Best wishes for a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM

What do you consider the best route? Fast and direct? With some sightseeing? I would suggest going over the Swiss Alps to the Italian lake area before going to Venice. First day in eastern France. Second night spent in Interlaken. The third in Como. Then Venice.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

BSM

I perhaps wasn't clear enough we have never driven from Paris to Venice before we have leased a peugoet in the past, which proved successful. I appologise about wasting your valuable time (5 seconds to write your response). I will endeavour to be more succinct with my genuine inquiries.
To answer ROBdaddy we will be flying in from Toronto but will probably take you sugestion and stop 1hr out of Paris. Your suggested route sounds good.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
bsm

It's not about wasting time -it's about saying what you mean!! Mappy.com
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:26 AM

I have done this journey several times and of course there is no "best" route.

But I would suggest taking the motorways in France - which you will have to pay for and first night stop in Macon (about 250 miles). Pleasant basic hotel with a locked garage for the car - Hotel d' Angleterre 92 Quai Jean Jaurès 71000
Mâcon Tel: +33 3-85382794. Macon is a lovely town on the Saone River - and there are some very nice restaurants over the river from the hotel - which is on the river.

Then drive via Mont Blanc tunnel and down into Italy. There are lots of places on route to stay but if you like Cities and are not scared by traffic you could do worse than sampling Milan (about 250 miles from Macon) - the Brera area at night is very animated with lots of great retaurants - but don't miss the Duomo.

If you would rather sample a less urban stopover - push on to Lake Garda - any of the towns on the eastern shore are lovely. Malcisine or Lazise for example.

Milan to Venice is about a 4 hour drive.
On route are many lovely Italian towns - unmissable are Verona, Vicenza, and Padova.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM

Just curious - why are you flying into Paris if you're not going to stop until you get to Venice (and then you fly home out of Rome)? I'm not getting this........