Reload this Page >

Driving from Paris to South of France

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2000, 08:26 PM
Silver

In early June we're off for five weeks in Europe. We spend three days in Paris, then pick up our rental car on the last day and head to the south of France. Will we be terror stricken just trying to get out of Paris? Which terrific route would you recommend to get to Cannes or such other exotic sounding locale? <BR>We hope to spend two weeks in Italy, mainly the Tuscany area. Will post an update on our travels upon our return in mid-Juy. <BR>Thanks to one all for the excellent tips we've gleened from this site. <BR>Silver

Old May 20th, 2000, 04:09 AM
Rex

Terror-stricken is a choice you make. <BR> <BR>You don't say how much more of the 35 days you plan to be in France, after the three in Paris, but you can and will get used to French driving. It's all just a matter of adjusting to and embracing what seems new and different to you. <BR> <BR>You might want to consider, easing into life on the autoroute by taking the TGV to Avignon (or Lyon, or even further south than Avignon, if you prefer). You can take the train to Avignon faster than you can drive there; conserve your energy, and even consider an overnight there, and get the car the next day. <BR> <BR>For planning your route, use www.iti.fr and/or www.cwlease.com - - unless you want otherwise, the "Autoroute du Soleil" (runs all the way from Paris to Nice) is an extremely good, high speed, high capacity superhighway. Regrettably it NEEDS to be high capacity, and sometimes has so much traffic on it it is taxed to the max. <BR> <BR>Feel free to write to me directly if you have additional questions. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old May 22nd, 2000, 04:19 AM
Mary Ann

We too were not enthused about driving out of Paris, after we drove in. However, just ask the concierge at your hotel for the best route. We were driving to CDG airport from the 7th arond. We had just commented the day before that who in their right mind would drive down the Champs Ely. and by the Arc d' Triumphe, when the desk clerk told us to to Champs Ely. Well his route was easy (via the tunnel under the Arc). The hotel should know the best route for you. Also we generally left cities early but planned to leave at 10:30am figuring we would then miss early morning rush traffic and the lunch traffic. We had no problems (other than our battery was dead, but that is another story and we were only slightly delayed). Or where ever you pick up the car, I am sure they can advise you (hopefully you have it already reserved!)

Old May 22nd, 2000, 07:48 AM
kk

Hi yo, Silver, away! <BR>I am sorry if you get that a lot, but I just couldn't resist....since you are going AWAY, and for five wonderful weeks, to boot. <BR>Man, am I ever jealous. Have a wonderful time and we all look forward to your trip report(s).

Old May 22nd, 2000, 09:22 AM
John

Hi, Silver, <BR>So you’re off on the Tour d’Argent? (Sorry for another name-related liberty.) <BR> <BR>I don’t particularly like driving in Paris, especially around Concorde, which somehow always seems to be between me and there. But once on the circular road (Peripherique) it’s no worse than driving in Boston (no, better) and you’ll be fine. You must be patient, but once out of the central areas I think you’ll find the driving in France to be pleasant and not especially difficult. <BR> <BR>If time permits I would avoid the Autoroute du Soleil for the reasons stated by Rex, but understand that there is a lot of truck traffic on the lesser roads and instead of the anonymity and high tolls on the Autoroute you will have passing situations and elephants-on-parade issues on the smaller roads. I don’t think it can be wholly avoided, but the good news is that once in the provinces the back roads and lanes are often heaven on earth, full of surprises and vistas and an incredibly alive natural setting. <BR> <BR>If your time permits (sounds like it might), you could consider approaching the Mediterranean in a roundabout way, maybe first to the southwest (the Dordogne, for example, then the Camargue) or via the east, say over to Alsace, then zip across Switzerland and back into France at Annecy and the western flank of the Alps, then south. Either way you would see more of this phenomenal country, enjoy some of the best food in the world (IMO) and get into the heart of France, far from the freeways and Paris traffic jams. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage! <BR>