Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving from Paris to Rouen and then back to Paris from Amboise. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-from-paris-to-rouen-and-then-back-to-paris-from-amboise-424028/)

kelbo Apr 19th, 2004 12:46 PM

Driving from Paris to Rouen and then back to Paris from Amboise.

We have set our itinerary and need assistance with transportation! We arrive CDG at 10:am. We are heading straight for Rouen. Should we rent the car at CDG, or take the train? Heading home we end up in Amboise and need to get to Paris ( where we will spend 4 days). Can we drive to Orly and drop off the car and then cab in? Should we take the train to paris ..there is no car rental return in Amboise and the Tours ob=ne looked closed on Sunday?

Help!

57BelAir Apr 19th, 2004 03:15 PM

Trains run regularly from Paris (Gare St. Lazare) to Rouen and take only about an hour. We did that trip, and buying tickets was easy, either at the manned booths or at the automated kiosks. (And I speak minimal French.)Despite the relative ease, I suggest that you get your car at CDG and drive to Rouen. Otherwise you'll have to schlep into the city (by taxi or RER), then go to Rouen. As for the return, check with your car rental agency about drop-off at Orly. If they do it, it makes sense.

SalB Apr 19th, 2004 03:17 PM

Having no idea what you are doing in the middle of your tour, I may be giving you poor advice, but here's a try.

Many people would advise taking the train and renting the car in Rouen. We usually pick up our car at CDG and have never had any problem, even with jet lag and we're west coasters. That way you can take your time driving to Rouen and if you want to stop for coffee or a meal, you can. We like the freedom.

Going back . . . Yes, you can drive easily to Orly. Actually we did that the last time. Drop the car at Orly and they have a tram from Orly to CDG. I don't remember the specifics, but you probably take a tram from Orly to a nearby RER station and then switch to the RER to CDG. It's an easy dropoff at Orly though and I'm sure you can get directions to CDG when you leave the car. You could also check a guide book or even the Orly or CDG web sites.

This answer will top your message and you may get some more advice.

Enjoy your trip.

StCirq Apr 19th, 2004 03:24 PM

This is your second posting. You already received some good replies on the first that you might want to check out. If you click on your own name, all your posts will appear.

ragedrooster Apr 20th, 2004 09:39 AM

Concerning the car - we always rent from easycar.com - booked in advance about 12-14E/day - but available in the center. If you don't need the sleep when you arrive, take the RER to Monparnasse and from Monparnasse to Orly when you leave - the main issue, as pointed out earlier is shlepping your luggage - especially with connecting trains. OR, use the CGD-Monparnasse and Monparnasse-Orly bus for about 30E/head. If you need sleep - go to the Etap hotel @ CGD @ the "accor vilage" for about 30E/night.

Good Luck

Gretchen Apr 20th, 2004 09:59 AM

Hunhh???
We rented at CDG and drove to Rouen. It is an easy drive and can be a scenic one up the Seine rather than the superhighway. We returned the car to Orly. BE SURE to know EXACTLY how to find Orly!! There has to be an easier way than what we did. The car rental return is very easy IF you know the French for "rental return". It is a short walk across the street to the taxi stand. The fare outside of rush hours is around 20E.
As I said in the other post (I think) get the VERY detailed Michelin maps of Normandy and the Loire. Also the Michelin Green Guides to these areas are very informative--and will make you wish you were spending more time on this part of your trip.