Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving from Paris to Nice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-from-paris-to-nice-903596/)

amighi Aug 22nd, 2011 05:17 AM

Driving from Paris to Nice

We are visiting France in mid September and decided to drive from Paris to Nice with an overnight stay somewhere in between. any suggestions on route, what not to miss on the way and where to stay overnight? thanks

ira Aug 22nd, 2011 05:45 AM

Hi am,

We could help you more if you gave us your full itinerary.

Driving might not be the best way.

((I))

Cyberia Aug 22nd, 2011 06:08 AM

Best way is toll roads, otherwise you'll spend days and days on the trip. But it is expensive. I paid over 80 euros last time I crossed France a few years ago. There are "free roads" between some toll roads.

A10 out of Paris in an SW direction, dips to the south becoming the E5, then becomes the E9. At Vierzon take the E11 and a LONG time later, about 15 miles from the south coast, take the A750 to Montpellier. Not a bad place to stay overnight.

Then take the E80 eastbound till you come to the Nice turnoff.

Fuel is noticeably more expensive on the toll roads as is food and drink. If you stop off at a town on the way you can top up on everything at a local supermarket, including sandwiches. Or have a bite to eat somewhere.

Many shops, garages, etc shut on Sundays. 24 hour fuel pumps normally only accept French debit/credit cards. A lot of places shut for 2 hours around midday.

I'm off to the south coast of Spain myself on September 13th.

Sarastro Aug 22nd, 2011 06:19 AM

If you want to make it to Nice in that short of time you will have no choice but to take the autoroute: A6, A7 at Lyon, A8 near Marseille. Plan on about 9 hours non stop if you have no traffic or bad weather.

Lyon is about half way and you could overnight there.

Trying to drive this in 2 days means staying on the Autoroute and missing almost everything along the way just to make your destination.

Have you considered taking the train?

Michel_Paris Aug 22nd, 2011 06:22 AM

The question seems to be...if you don't need a car in Paris, and not in Nice...is the car for touring countryside between both, and then Riviera?

StCirq Aug 22nd, 2011 08:20 AM

Why did you decide to drive when it's absolutely painless to take the train? You don't need a car in Paris or Nice. You're only going to spend one night along the way. So what's the car for? It's a long, boring, expensive ride.

amighi Aug 22nd, 2011 11:37 AM

All great questions and I specailly appreciate driving directions.
The reason we decided to drive is because I can get a car for a week using my point so, basically just for few dollars. since it is 4 of us and we have a whole day and half, we thought why not to drive. That said, if you all think it is not the right decision and we'll be seeing nothingf other than highways, then we need to rethink our plan. I could rent the car in Nice once we arrive and use it to travel down french Riviera, Monaco and parts of Italian Riviera. thank you all. please keep ideas coming

llane125 Aug 22nd, 2011 11:49 AM

Do that (rent the car in Nice). You can fly from Paris to Nice for < $100 / person.

qwovadis Aug 22nd, 2011 12:54 PM

viamichelin.com for different routes

www.lecalendal.com Arles and/or www.beaune.com

2 touristic stops I like on the way if time...

StCirq Aug 22nd, 2011 12:55 PM

Yes, rent the car once you're ready to explore the Riviera. You can take the train to Nice for less than a flight if you snag PREM fares.