Normandy and Bordeaux

Search

Normandy and Bordeaux

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normandy and Bordeaux

Hi, We are in the very early planning stages of our trip to France. We will have 6-7 days to tour plus 2 travel days in September. We want to see Normandy, Mont St Michel,some of the Bordeaux regionn and maybe a stop in Giverny. We will travel by train from Amsterdam. Any ideas where we should pick up a rental car? Any ideas on places to stay or sights to see would be appreciated. As said it's early stage planning and we haven't even decided on how many nights each place yet so recomendations about that would be great also. We like some museums,little towns with local shops but not really into shopping,love food and wine. Thanks in advance.
Karrie
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
ira

Hi K,

>We will travel by train from Amsterdam.<

To where?

What's your budget?

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Giverny, Normandy, and le MSM are good ideas. Bordeaux? I'd forget it. The "Bordeaux region" isn't particularly attractive, and you can drink Bordeaux wines anywhere. Plus, you have only a short amount of time. I'd skip it. There are far more appealing parts of France.

What about Paris?
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi StCirq, We went to Paris last year and loved it. We also have been to Nice and some of Provence. I know there is so much to see. I am travelling with my daughter who lives in Amsterdam. It is so easy for her to travel for long weekends so we want to see areas neither of us have seen yet.Thanks
Karrie
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, Amsterdam to where? Haha we haven't decided where first or last! Would like to keep lodging under 200euros a night.
Karrie
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Why not just do Normandy? Maybe a day or so in Paris for a top off. Geez. Embarrassment of "riches" in that you "did" paris last year.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM

I agree with St Cirq about Bordeaux. My wife & I have spent about 3 1/2 years total traveling throughout France in the past 30 years. We've "experienced" most areas in France.

I would add Brittany to your itinerary instead of Bordeaux. It is actually more "interesting" than Normandy, IMO, and the best part is that it is adjacent to Normandy so you don't have to travel far to get there.

I would take the 7:41am train from Amsterdam to CDG airport arriving at 11:30am (1 train change in Brussels), rent a car there, and head out to Normandy - staying the first night in Rouen (one of our favorite cities). Then stay a couple of nights in the Pays de Auge in Normandy for pretty countryside or Bayeux if you want to visit the D-Day beaches. Then 1 night in MSM, then near Dinan in Brittany for several days.

Getting back to Amsterdam is a little more difficult. Stay the last night in Rennes (one of our "Top 5" large cities in France) and in the morning take the 8:03 TGV to Gare du Montpernasse in Paris. Then take a taxi to the Gare du Nord and catch the 12:25 TGV directly to Amsterdam with no train changes - arriving at 3:41pm.

I used a week-day in April to determine train schedules. Use your exact dates.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 06:45 PM

Well, you could pick about a thousand more interesting places to visit than Bordeaux. And I say this as a person who has spent a lot of time there.