Reload this Page >

Driving from Munich to Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:10 AM
Culley Carson

My wife and I are flying into Munish in October. We are intereted in possibly renting a car to drive to Salzburg. How long does it take to drive to Salzburg from Munich? Are there any good car rental companys you recommend? Any other examples of driving times between cities would be great! I enjoy the trains in Europe but we only have a week to hit Munich, Salzburg and back up to Frankfurt to fly home. Any suggested routes along this path would also be great! Thanks for the help!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:39 AM
Monica

Hello Culley, <BR> <BR>My husband and I recently returned from Germany and we drove from Munich on the autobahn A-8 to Bertchesgaden (which you'd continue on to Salzburg). It will take about 2 hours for your drive. We rented our car through AutoEurope and got a good price for our car, although we did upgrade to Mercedes for an extra $13 a day. Bertchesgaden would be a great day trip before you head to Salzburg. When we arrived in bertchesgaden, we took the local bus (2) to the top. One can drive to the first point (I belive the place is called Obersalzburg). Interesting visit. <BR> <BR>Just outside Munich there is a small town called Ayling, which we didn't get a chance to visit. I met a gentleman from the Munich tourist office who stated it's a small town with its own brewery. We wanted to tour it, but didn't have the time. <BR> <BR>I will be posting my travel notes in the next couple of weeks on my travel page, if interested in reading it: http://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/travel <BR> <BR>Best wishes! You'll have a wonderful time in Germany!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:40 AM
Monica

My husband and I recently returned from Germany and we drove from Munich on the autobahn A-8 to Bertchesgaden (which you'd continue on to Salzburg). It will take about 2 hours for your drive. We rented our car through AutoEurope and got a good price for our car, although we did upgrade to Mercedes for an extra $13 a day. Bertchesgaden would be a great day trip before you head to Salzburg. When we arrived in bertchesgaden, we took the local bus (2) to the top. One can drive to the first point (I belive the place is called Obersalzburg). Interesting visit. <BR> <BR>Just outside Munich there is a small town called Ayling, which we didn't get a chance to visit. I met a gentleman from the Munich tourist office who stated it's a small town with its own brewery. We wanted to tour it, but didn't have the time. <BR> <BR>I will be posting my travel notes in the next couple of weeks on my travel page, if interested in reading it: http://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/travel <BR> <BR>Best wishes! You'll have a wonderful time in Germany!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:35 PM
Art

Its certainly worth the dive to Salzberg, one of the most charming cities in Europe(in my opinion). If you have time along the way there is a lake (Chemsee) where one of the castles built by King Ludwig II is located. It is a smaller version of Versailles(sp) including hall of mirors. On Saturday evenings the have a classical trio playing and all of the candles in the palace (thousands) are lit. At least they used to. Enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful part of Germany and Austria. <BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:42 PM
vosaki

The German Alps region is one of the prettiest in Europe. My only comment is that winter comes very early in Germany. The weather can be cold and damp in October. Germany tends to be cool anyway, can't you go in July?