Driving from Milan to Sorrento....

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Sue

Driving from Milan to Sorrento....

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to line up my trip. I'm thinking of spending a week at one of the lakes and then going down to Sorrento.

I've checked flights, trains and now I'm wondering if driving might be a good idea. I have another 5 days and would like to spend 3 days in Sorrento.

Would this be a reasonable drive? Or too much. How many hours would it take? As usual, all help is appreciated!

Thanks, Sue

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:40 AM
GAC

This is a long drive. I don't know whether you've driven before in Italy, but it can be very tiring. Unless you plan to stop along the way in small towns without effective public transportation links, you really don't need a car to get from the Italian Lake Region to Sorrento. Milan to Naples by Eurostar train is 6.5 hours. Reserved First Class costs 81 Euros (one way), while second class 56 Euros (one way). Naples to Sorrento by Circumvesuviana Commuter Railway (NOT Italian National Railway) is another 70 minutes (very cheap, approx. 3 Euros). You can check the National train schedules and fares at trenitalia.it

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Vincenzo

Sue, driving from Milan to Sorrento is a good idea only if the travel is more important than the arrival.
It means to know Italy better than using flights and trains.
But, if it is so, the travel from Milan to Sorrento is 6 days long, not 11 hours.
And when you arrive at Sorrento, maybe it's time to go back.
Anyway, 11 hours are the hours you need.
All the road is charge autoroad.
Ciao, buon viaggio !

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Sue

GAC, Is the train from Milan to Naples direct? Or do you have to change trains. I'm traveling alone and the hassle of luggage and changing trains isn't too appealing. If it's direct, I would definitely consider it. Thanks!

Is the Eurostar a high speed train?

Vincenzo, Thanks for the advise. 11 hours is more than thought. I think the train might be a better idea.

Sue

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Vincenzo

Sue,
Milano - Napoli is direct train and Eurostar is the speeder.
Time is almost 7 hours. You have a good eurostar, departure from Milano Centrale 10.00 and you arrive at Napoli Centrale 16.30.
Downstairs you have another train for Sorrento every thirty minutes and after 1 hour you arrive at Sorrento.
I live very close to Sorrento, so if you need I help you.
Ciao.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Cathy

Dear Sue,

You have made a wise decision! Sorrento
is magnificent. Do not, I repeat, do not miss the enchanting town of POSITANO, which is approx 30 min from Sorrento...along the magnificent Amalfi Coast. P.s. Just take the train to Sorrento. C

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Sue

Vincenzo,

Thanks for all your helpful advise! What is the best way to get from Malpensa to the central train station? Is it close to the airport?

Cathy,

I will definitely go to Positano. I wouldn't miss the drive down the Amalfi Coast!!!

Thanks Sue

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:32 AM
micia

Sue,

Hi, Malpensa is not close to the main station, as it is in Milan, Malpensa is not.
However, do not worry, there is the train right there at Malpensa and it will take you straight to the station in Milan.
It will not take you long and you should have no problems.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Vincenzo

Sue, from Malpensa airport to Milano Centrale railway station there are two ways.
By train or by bus.
From Malpensa both have departure just before arrival room of the airport.
By train you need fifty minutes and you arrive at Cadorna that is a metro stop. You keep metro from Cadorna io Milano Centrale (metro stop). Only five minutes.
By bus is better because, time 1 hour, you arrive at Milano Centrale, on the left side and a few steps to walk and you're on the train.
Ciao.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:31 AM
GAC

Vincenzo has already answered most of your questions. I also recommend the bus (NOT the train, which goes to Cadorna Station) from Malpensa airport to Milano Stazione Centrale. From there, the DIRECT Eurostar train arrives in Naples in 6.5 hours. This is the fastest train available in Italy. It stops briefly only in Bologna, Florence and Rome. Check in trenitalia.it for details of schedules.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Bjorn Alvik

An interesting thred, as I plan an opsite direction: Naples via Amalfi and some slalom Adriatic Sea/Appenines to Milan from where we sahall return and end this year's Italian journey.

Why not use a rented car??????

Bjorn, Oslo

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Sue

Bjorn,

Driving is how this thread started. It's a very long drive when the intention is to get to Sorrento and not sight see along the way.

Thanks to all for your help, once again!

Sue

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Rex

topping for sue...