Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from milan to san vigiglio di Marebee .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving from Milano to San Vigilio di Marebee in the Dolomites, looking for the best and most scenic route possible that covers some of the beautiful passes, and still make it to our hotel before dark.
Second day we have all day to explore and drive through the passes, eventually ending in Cortina D' Ampezzo where we lodge the second night. We have a half day on day 3 before heading down to Venice.
Looking for suggestions on how to make the most, and see the most with our time. We are looking mostly to sightsee, photograph opportunities, maybe catch a gondola ride and a short walk/hike once there.
Appreciate any advice.
Thx.
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM

Personally, I would drive the easiest possible itinerary that is long enough: Milan-Verona- Bolzano - Bressanone - San Vigilio; it will be about 4 hours and half driving if there is no traffic. You could add a detour along Lake Garda shores, and it will add one hour. There is no shortage of other scenic itineraries but they are very slow. The choice of itinerary depends also on the season; in winter passes may be closed, in August there may be horrible queues between Verona and Brenner.

Between San Vigilio and Cortina the short itinerary through passo di Valparola and Falzarego has glorious landscapes. Stop at Falzarego pass and see if you can ride the gondola up to Lagazuoi. But if the weather is bad the longer itinerary through Dobbiaco is lower and easier to drive.
Old Sep 21st, 2014, 01:04 AM

What about Bolzano/Bozen/Bulsaun - Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck/Punt Gherdeina - Val Gardena/Grödental/Val Gherdeina - Passo Gardena/Groednerjoch/Pass da Gherdeina - Corvara/Kurfar/Corvara - San Martino in Badia/Sankt Martin in Thurn/San Martin de Tor - San Vigilio di Marebbe/Sankt Vigil in Enneberg?
Old Sep 21st, 2014, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both asps and neckervd for your suggestions.
I failed to mentirón that I will be doing this october 4-5 , in just a couple weeks, my sister and I are doing this adventure and looking forward to this amazing and tedious drive. I Was wondering if Lake guarda was worth the stop, so thank you for that, it's a great suggestion asps!! Wondering where I could purchase a detail map of the drives?

neckervd, I wondered if that Valgardena drive was doable in one day, the purpose of our drive is to go through the stunning passes, but don't want to underestimate the time, and be caught in the mountains at night...any thought on how long this would take, taking into consideration, stops for pictures , lunch somewhere ? etc.
I appreciate the advice. Thanks !!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 12:21 PM

According to http://www.viamichelin.it the ride from Bolzano/Bozen to San Vigilio Marebbe/Enneberg takes 1 1/2 hrs via Brunico/Bruneck/Bornech and 2 1/2 hrs via Val Gardena/Grödental/Val Gherdeina and the famous Passo di Gardena/Groednerjoch/Pass da Gherdeina.
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM

Why don't you take the train to Bressanone and rent the car there? The train trip is absolutely identical to the drive in terms of what you will see and not all that much longer. The only real difference is that it will be much less stressful and both of you can enjoy the scenery. It will especially be less stressful if it happens to be raining that day.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Neckervd, the info is very helpful !!!
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Sandralist !!! ....don't say that ugly 4 letter word !!! RAIN
There will be none of that for the first 2 weeks in October please ! lol. Actually we had considered taking the train to trento or bolzano! and than renting...will be watching the forecasts closely.
Thank you !!!