Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from French side of Geneva Switzerland to Annecy

Jul 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into Geneva next week and have a car reserved on the French side of the airport because our stay will be in France, dropping the car in Paris. Our first nights are near Annecy, France, and I'd like to avoid paying the 40 franc fee for driving a few miles on a Swiss toll highway. Is it feasible to drive from the French side of the airport to the A41 in France via non-toll roads? I don't mind paying the tolls in France, but paying about $45 for the short time we'll drive in Switzerland is aggravating. I've looked at maps, including a very detailed Michelin France touring atlas. I've also tried mapping programs, but they all send me on Swiss toll roads. Thanks for any help.
Jul 1st, 2014, 08:37 AM

I don't understand your cartographic problem

If you really want to avoid Switzerland, just (!!!: it's a hell of a long way round) taje the D1005 out of the airport, then the D35, past CERN, to the D884. Then the D984 and D1084 to the first intersection with the French A40, then the A40 to the A41 interchange.

It's all on Google Maps. I'm not sure I'd bother, though: my experience is that all cars hired at GVA come with Swiss motorway vignettes anyway, though I'm unsure whether that's policy or happenstance.
Jul 1st, 2014, 08:59 AM

We just rented at the same place to drive to Annecy and they don't have vignettes. We asked and technically you have to stop and get one...but we were driving through after the place to get then had closed so had to take the chance and luckily we were fine. It takes about 10 mins to hit France I think...
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I kind of doubt the Hertz car will have the vignette as we're renting in France. I don't need to avoid Switzerland altogether, just the Swiss toll roads. I don't want to go a long way out of the way, either, so we'll probably just buy the vignette. It's cheaper than renting the car in Switzerland and dropping it off in Paris--600 franc drop-off fee!
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:28 AM

Ask at the rental car place. The place we rented (Enterprise) had a great map. It will double the time it takes you to get to Annecy I believe...
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:44 AM

There's good information in this discussion on the Flyer Talk forum, including a link to the Geneva airport site with a detailed map and itineraries including two for which the vignette is not needed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...va-france.html
Jul 1st, 2014, 11:46 AM

I've rented cars twice on the French side and both times had the vignette. I suspect your odds improve as it gets later in the year. My rentals were late August.

Check with via.michelin and you will see that it takes about 40 minutes to get to Annecy with the vignette and an hour without. Those times are a bit optimistic but the 20 minute difference sounds about right.
Jul 1st, 2014, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. This has been very helpful--Fodorites come through as usual!
Jul 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM

I've rented several times on the French side of GVA and never had the vignette on the car (although with my rental last week I could see where it had been removed). I, too, have usually been heading down past Annecy but really wanted to use the A1 to get started on my journey.

What I have found works well is to take the A1 down to the last exit before the border, getting off the highway in Perly onto the Route de Saint-Julien. After this road crosses into France it becomes the D1201. Follow the D1201 through Saint-Julien-en-Genevois and south to the A41 autoroute. Starting here you can take the French toll roads down to Annecy.

As a word of warning, last week's rental was the first where I experienced any issues with renting on the French side of GVA. The French side of the airport is accessed through a single road that is currently undergoing extensive repairs. Because of this, a long section is down to a single lane, with traffic lights on the ends to control passage. On Saturday the lights were not working properly, so people from both ends ended up going simultaneously, meeting in the middle and causing a major backup that prevented us from being able to return our car.

Our only option for catching our flight was to return on the Swiss side, which we were told should cost us €122. Since this is likely to occur again, I would highly recommend discussing a contingency plan with the rental agency before you leave the airport so that you don't have to figure it out when you are rushing to catch your flight home. For instance, there are a couple lots off the French side access road where someone from the agency could potentially meet you and take you and your bags back to the Swiss side for your departure.