Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving from Florence to Siena Day Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-from-florence-to-siena-day-trip-206217/)

Lisa Apr 25th, 2002 06:19 PM

Driving from Florence to Siena Day Trip

We're thinking of driving to Siena for a day trip because we'd rather be alone instead of with other people. Is this wise to do? Anyone ever done it? Any tips? Thanks.

lisa Apr 25th, 2002 06:43 PM

My husband and I did it last fall. I highly recommend it. The landscape is great! We stopped at San Gimigano which is neat but very touristy. It is a village surrounded by a wall and has a torture museum. I highly recommend staying at the Villa Arceno in Chianti area too. It is amazing! We actually drove to rome and stopped many places along the way. A day trip doesnt give you a lot of time but is probably doable. Driving there alone is fun! The side towns of Gubbio area are great if you want to stay away from the high tourist areas. Sienna is nice too but dont drive into town. All pedestrians!

deb Apr 26th, 2002 09:02 AM

We drove from Florence to Siena on a day trip. It was easy and a nice drive. Also visited San Galgano, maybe an hour west of Siena, and headed back from there. We loved San Galgano (old abbey in ruins). I would recommend it as a side trip if you have the time. Have a great trip.

Carol Apr 26th, 2002 09:07 AM

My husband and I drove from Florence to Siena by way of the Chianti route. We found this route outlined in the Florence/Tuscany Eyewitness Guide. <BR><BR>The road meanders through the countryside and is a wonderful way to relax after being in hectic Florence. I would definitely recommend such a drive. Just make sure to have a good map and a pretty good of idea of what you want to see in Siena so as to not waste time.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Bob Apr 26th, 2002 09:23 AM

We spent a week in a villa in Siena and had a car so drove all over this area. No problems at all. Easy to get around and well marked. <BR><BR>Downtown Siena can get a little tight for parking but you can usually find a space. We took the car in one time and another time we took the city bus. Just allow time to find a parking spot for your car. <BR><BR>The area around Siena and Florence is also very nice by car. That is the only way we would want to see it as you can stop when you want where you want. Enjoy!

CB167 Apr 22nd, 2003 02:03 PM

You can definitely do it. In one day, I drove from Florence to San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Siena, and ended with a late dinner in Montepulciano. It sounds like a lot, but it was do-able and I enjoyed every moment of the trip.

Roland Apr 22nd, 2003 03:39 PM

This is just one mans opinion but yes you can do a drive in one day to Siena and stop in several hill towns, see Seina and get back to Florence. But in doing so you will miss so much. Siena is a beautiful city that deserves more than one day in itself. The Chianti road also deserves more than one day, but at least one. You can do so much, but in the process, see nothing. Do take a bit of time to find a nice spot, have a glass of wine and just enjoy being part of your surrondings.

Bootman4U Apr 23rd, 2003 10:20 AM

I think you've already partially answered your own question in that the only way I know that you can travel and &quot;be alone&quot; at the same time IS by driving so that part's a no-brainer.<BR><BR>There'll be plenty of OTHER people in the places you want to visit, however, so brace yourselves! I know that Rick Steves and a lot of others rave about San G. and Siena but in my opinion I think the latter is far more interesting.