Debit, Credit or Euro?

Old May 21st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debit, Credit or Euro?

Hi-

We are traveling to Italy Do most restaurants, markets & stores accept credit or debit cards? Also, any advice on tipping for tour guides, taxis, hotel, and restaurants? Thanks in advance.
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:21 PM

Most restaurants and hotels accept credit cards (or debit cards). Shops and supermarkets may or may not. In general, cash is usually used for small purchases (under €50).

Italians don't tip as a general rule, or if they do, they leave only a few euros, or round the bill to the next €5. I don't know about tour guides, as I've never used one in Italy. I do go sometimes on art tours with our local adult school, and those guides don't get tipped by our group. I don't know of anyone tipping in hotels.

In very touristy areas, waiters and taxi drivers tend to expect tips from Americans, because they know it's a tipping culture.
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:48 PM

IME experience, just about every establishment in any of the major tourist area accepts CCs and debits.

I'm an American, and I usually use the "round up" method of tipping for taxis, restaurants, etc.. I think one time I tipped a waiter 5 euros in a nice restaurant because he was very helpful at selecting and recommending the meals and wine. And that was probably for a bill of 80-90 euros. I don't think I've ever tipped a taxi more than 1 euro, except maybe if the driver was very helpful with lots of luggage.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:09 PM

We've always left a small thank-you for the hotel maid each day; it's hard to imagine a more back-breaking, underpaid job.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please leave your American tipping habits at home.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 01:28 AM

In the small hotels where I usually stay, it's very often a family member who's cleaning the rooms.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 01:49 AM

Every establishment in Italy that takes credit cards/debit cars will have the usual logos on the door, just as everywhere else. If you're WAY out in the hinterland, you might find a small establishment that takes cash only, and it will almost certainly say so (in Italian).

The only place I've ever taken a tour was in Reykyavik, a walking tour with a student. It was a free tour, but at the end he told us tips of any amount would be appreciated but not required. We gave him 10 euros, as did most other people. We don't tip in restaurants except to round up, don't tip taxi drivers unless they haul luggage, and leave a few euros a day for hotel cleaning people.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:24 AM

The credit card slips in European restaurants do not have provision for adding a tip so there is no expectation of a tip. Besides, I walk around with may 10 or 20 euro at most so I wouldn't have the cash for a tip.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:01 AM

>>Please leave your American tipping habits at home.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:35 AM

Debit, Credit or Euro?
Posted by: Mas13 on May 21, 16 at 4:54pm
We are traveling to Italy Do most restaurants, markets & stores accept credit or debit cards? Also, any advice on tipping for tour guides, taxis, hotel, and restaurants?

Credit cards: Just because you can doesn't mean that is a wise thing to do in Europe. After every trip to Europe I find at least one fraudulent charge, and I use CCs very sparingly. MC and V make it a hurdle to get corrected while Amex makes sit easy. I any case you will need to cancel the card. Cash works every time.

Tips:
Restaurants have a "pane e coperto" charge everywhere. It can cost you $5.00 just to sit down. Then the 15% "service charge" is mandatory. It may be included in menu prices or it may be slapped on to the total. Look carefully at the card and ask beforehand if service is included.
Taxi drivers have probably already stolen more than you intended to tip.
Hotels also have a service charge which may or may not be included in the room price. Ask. A euro on the pillow may get you an extra towel. BTW, bring your own washcloth.
Guides expect a tip. They depend on tips and hold their hand out as you leave the tour. The only time I didn't tip was for a fellow who didn't speak English.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:44 AM

A cover charge ( coperto) is banned in Rome. You can avoid the bread charge by waving away the bread if you don't want it.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 03:26 AM

We pay cash for everything except our hotel bills. If you eat at a mom and pop eatery they may not take credit cards, so cash is always accepted.

As for tour guides, some expect a tip and some do not. We do not tip in restaurants because of the pane e coperto.

Buon viaggio,
Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:27 AM

Funny. I use my credit cards everywhere they are taken for all charges large or small (well even I will not try to use a credit card for a charge less than € but from there on up, if the window shows credit card decals, it's plastic for me). I have not had s fraudulent charge from my European holidays especially since the US banks have finally joined the 21st century and have been issuing cards with emv chips. That's not to ssy it can NEVER happen. But bear in mind you have no liability for fraudulent charges and I have never had any difficulty whatsoever on those few occasions where it has hppened in easily resolving the problem with mc and visa.