Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Florence through France to Barcelona

Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:05 AM
Kate

Does anyone have any itinerary ideas for a drive from Florence through the South of France, to Barcelona? Specifically, any ideas for places to stop in the South of France for an afternoon/overnight? Other ideas about Barcelona and where to stay and what to do are most appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:14 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kate, I would do 2 overnites enroute. Get a map and locate Menton, just across the border, and then on to St. Tropez. That will break it up and give you two delightful coastal venues. It is a long drive--why not enjoy it.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:27 AM
StCirq

Kate - that's one long drive. I'd make two stops. Menton, as Bob said, would be good, as would anywhere around that area of the Riviera. I'd make my second stop,however, much farther west, in Collioure, a very picturesque port town just north of the Spanish border. It's still a good long drive to Barcelona from there, and once into Spain the roads become less well maintained.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:01 AM
Rex

I don't know anything about Collioure, but there's a ton of info here on this forum, so it's worth asearch.

My candidate for the second night would be Sete. This is NOT a tourist-overrun town, but still interesting and pleasant.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:06 AM
lynn

Hi Kate:
Either Sete or Collioure would make excellent one night stops on your journey. If you are planning to head right to Barcelona after leaving your last nights stopover head for the motorway for a quick trip. The A9 of France turns into the A7 of Spain which takes you right into Barcelona. You have to pay a toll on these motorways but it's quick and you avoid the higher mountainous roads you can find in this area of the Pyrenees. You cross the border at La Jonquera which is painless and quick. The motorway is excellent on both sides of the border. We found no deterioration at all in the quality of this particular road as it changed from France to Spain. The trip from the border to Barcelona takes you through some interesting scenery.
Stop in Girona for an early lunch and on to Barcelona in about 1 hour from there. If you don't want to get off the motorway and look for parking there are the usual highway fast food stops along the way in both France and Spain.
(Just to let you know we left Arles in Provence about 830 am and we were in Girona by 1pm (and this was with a detour because of an accident near Perpignan) Girona is, as I mentioned above, about 1 hour from Barcelona).
Have a great trip.
Regards,
Lynn

Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:52 AM
StCirq

To clarify - the road that deteriorates at the Spanish border is the N11, the coastal road. I haven't been on the Spanish autoroute to Barcelona.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:48 PM
Capo

Hi Kate. While I love Menton -- and it's worth a stop -- I'd recommend staying in Nice over staying in Menton, as an evening spent walking through Vieux Nice is a true delight.

Hotel possibilities in Barcelona: we stayed in, and loved, the Hotel Gran Via. Many others here have mentinoned the Hotel Meson Castilla, and the Hotel Colon (which has a superb location, right across from the Cathedral.)

Mar 23rd, 2001, 03:02 PM
Jim

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. My wife and I spent two nights in Menton this past summer. I guess we really missed something. BOB THE NAVIGATOR and the latest poster to this site say Menton is great--We thought menton was poor at best- What did we miss. The eateries along the beach were tourist traps and the food was even worse. Please tell us the virtues of this town.