Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Driving from Bourton-on-the-Water to Wells, Somerset

Driving from Bourton-on-the-Water to Wells, Somerset

Feb 24th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Driving from Bourton-on-the-Water to Wells, Somerset

We will be driving from Bourton-on-the-Water to Wells this summer. I know I want to include Castle Combe and Bath along the way. Any other suggestions? Note, we have two girls ages 8 & 13. Thanks for any input.
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:23 AM
ron

How many days would you plan to set aside for this journey? Among the places that I have enjoyed visiting broadly in that area include Northleach (for the church), Chedworth Roman villa, Cirencester, Berkely Castle, Painswick.
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Your girls will certainly enjoy the costume museum in Bath--and so will you. I would also suggest a visit to Glastonbury Abbey, which is very impressive even in ruins.
Feb 25th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. This drive is one of many in a journey that begins in Scotland and will end in London. We will be spending 2 nights in Bourton and 2 in Wells....just enough time to get the flavor for the area to know where we will want to return to spend more concentrated time.
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Message: I would like to suggest Lacock Abbey and its medieval village as another site to visit. The Cloisters in the abbey were used in the filming of a Harry Potter movie. I forget which one. The abbey house has been converted(16th century)...still interesting, but the cloisters and the rooms that surround it have been left intact(13th century).The village is very well preserved and a real treat.There is also a photographic museum in honor of William Fox Talbot if anyone has an interest in photography.
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Wasn't it the fan-vaulted cloisters in Gloucester Cathedral that were used in the Harry Potter films?
Feb 25th, 2004, 11:23 AM

You're right,the cloisters at Gloucester Cathedral wre used. Perhaps it was the chapter house at Lacock where the filming took place. I do know that parts of the movie were filmed there. Other historic sites used in the movie were Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, the Divinty School in the Bodleian Library, the Hall at Christ Church College and Durham Cathedral

Search this Thread