Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Bordeaux to Barcelona. Where to stop along the way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 05:19 AM
as

In a couple of weeks I will be driving from Bordeaux to Barcelona. Where should I stop along the way? Any interesting cities I should stop at to break up the trip? Where should I stop for lunch? Please help. <BR>Thanks for any info.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 06:44 AM
StCirq

Are you planning to do this in one day? If so, get an early start and take the main autoroute through Toulouse, then south on the N20 through Foix. Montaubaun or Toulouse would make a decent place to stop for lunch, but if you take the autoroute you really won't be benefiting from all the more enticing places along the route. Unless you have the time and desire to do some sightseeing, you'd be just as well of stopping at one of the great French "aires" or rest stop places - they have very decent restaurants.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 07:13 AM
as

Thanks for the info. I am planning on doing the drive in l day. Is that feasable? How long of a drive is it?

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:02 AM
as

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:31 AM
John H

I would guess if you are driving from Bordeaux you are looking at roughly a 8 to 9 hour drive. (Check www.michelin-travel.com web site for driving distances and directions). We drove from Lourdes to Barcelona in one day last fall. That required about 6 hours of driving. We stopped for 2 hours to see Carcassone and had lunch there as well. That was our only stop, other than a few bathroom stops. <BR> <BR>We arrived into Barcelona around dusk. Driving in Barcelona can be murder, especially if you have not driven there before and/or do not have a good map. So, be forewarned -- traffic was very bad. Know where you are going explicitly, and how to get there from the highway. <BR> <BR>Happy trails. <BR> <BR>john

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:42 AM
as

Thanks for the info.St.Cirq and John.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 09:41 AM
lynn

Hi as: <BR>My husband and I did this drive in the opposite direction last summer. Travelling via motorway all the way it took us from about 8am til approx 5pm with a stop in Carcassonne. If you want the quickest route with unfortunately little scenery then this is very fast considering the distance covered. It doesn't afford much in the way of discovery of all the wonderful places you will pass. Take the A62 out of Bordeaux all the way to Toulouse. Then once around that city take the A61 to Narbonne then onto the A9 south crossing the border into Spain at La Jonquera. The road changes name to the A7 which takes you right into Barcelona. <BR>As another poster mentioned the major French "aires" or rest stops are very good. Look for the ones (which are signposted kilometres in advance) with lots of amenities if you want food and fuel and tourist info etc. Be forewarned that they can be pricey however. But since time seems to be important for you on this trip, they will meet your needs. <BR>We had to do this same trip to catch a flight out of Bordeaux early the next morning so we didn't see anything at all in between except for an two hour stop in Carcassonne. (luckly before the crowds hit). <BR>The tolls unfortunately are high and I'm sorry I have forgotten exactly how much. <BR>Make sure you have smaller bills and coins so you aren't expecting them to change huge bills. <BR>This year we are going back to explore some of the areas we were forced to speed past. <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Lynn